DENVER – Denver Nuggets guard Julius Hodge was shot and wounded early Saturday while driving on a highway, authorities said.
The team said he is in fair condition and is expected to make a full recovery. The Adams County Sheriff's Department said Hodge was struck several times in his lower body.
The sheriff's office said Hodge was driving on Interstate 76 in north Denver at about 2 a.m. when another vehicle pulled alongside and someone inside started shooting.
A passenger in Hodge's vehicle flagged down another motorist, who took Hodge and the passenger to a hospital.
Authorities said the motive for the shooting wasn't known and they appealed to any witnesses to come forward.
Nuggets general manager Kiki Vandeweghe said the team had little information on the shooting.
"First and foremost, our primary concern is Julius' health," he said in a statement.
The 22-year-old player was the Nuggets' first-round draft pick in 2005 out of North Carolina State. Hodge, 6-foot-7, was recalled from the NBA's developmental league last month after Earl Boykins broke his hand.
He has appeared in 14 games for the Nuggets this season, averaging 0.9 point and 0.5 rebounds in 2.4 minutes.
For more sports news, go to FOXSports.com.