French Bread Pizza
With Spinach, Wild Mushrooms & Fontina Garlic Cream — Rustic recipe in no time!
Yields: 4 portions
Portion Size: 8-inch slice of French bread
• 1 large loaf of French bread
• 1/2 lb. spinach
• 1 lb. wild mushrooms – Portabella, Chanterelle, Porcini, Shiitake
• 2 cup half and half
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
• 1 tbsp sweet butter
• Grated parmesan cheese
• Salt and pepper
• Melt the butter in a medium size saucepot over low heat. Then add the flour with the garlic and mix well. Once the flour and butter are well incorporated, add the half and half with cheese. Keep the sauce over low heat for about 10 minutes.
• Remove all the large stems from the spinach and rinse well under cold water. Heat a large sauté pan over high heat; once the pan is hot add 1 tb of cooking oil to the pan followed by the spinach. Quickly sauté the spinach for about 30 seconds then remove and place on a plate that is lined with some paper towels. Reserve.
• Clean all dirt and debris from the mushrooms by quickly rinsing them under warm water. Then heat another large pan over high heat. Once hot add 1 tbsp of cooking oil followed by the mushrooms. Quickly sauté the mushrooms for about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper then remove and place on a plate that is lines with some paper towels. Reserve.
• Building the French Bread: Slice the French bread in half running lengthwise down the center. Open the bread like you're making a sandwich and push flat. Drizzle the fontina sauce over the French bread, use about 3/4 of the sauce. Neatly place the spinach on the bread followed by the mushrooms. Then drizzle the rest of the sauce over the top and finish with some grated Parmesan cheese. Place the French bread under the broiler for about 2 to 5 minutes, or until golden brown.