WASHINGTON – More than 800,000 pieces of children's jewelry are being recalled by two companies because of the danger of lead poisoning that killed one child, the government said Thursday.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission said about 300,000 silver-colored, heart-shaped charm bracelets were recalled by Reebok International Ltd., a unit of Germany's Adidas-Salomen AG, after a 4-year-old child swallowed one of the bracelets and died of lead poisoning.
"I want to assure all of our consumers and our retailers that I will do everything in my power to ensure that no other family, no other child, suffers a similar tragedy," Reebok President Paul Harrington said in a statement.
The 8-inch-long metal bracelets and charms have the name "Reebok" engraved on the side of the charm. The bracelet was provided as a free gift with the purchase of various styles of children's footwear at major shoe stores nationwide from May 2004 through March 2006.
In a separate action Thursday, the CPSC said about 580,000 necklace and ring sets, imported by Dollar Tree Distribution Inc., are being recalled for a lead poisoning danger.
The silver-colored, adjustable rings come in a variety of designs with a toy "gem" in the center. The necklaces have a black string with silver-colored clasps and a silver-colored charm with a "gem" in the center.
The packages are printed with "Mood Necklace," Mood Ring," "Glow in the Dark Necklace," "Glow in the Dark Ring," "UV Necklace" or "UV Ring." The "UV" jewelry packaging reads, "The Sun's Energy Will Change The Color." Printed on the back of the packaging is "SKU 815485" and the name "Mannix."
The jewelry was sold at Dollar Tree, Dollar Bills, Dollar Express, Greenbacks, Only $1 and Super Dollar Tree stores nationwide from September 2003 through February 2006.
Consumers owning either the Reebok or Dollar Tree jewelry should take it from children immediately, the CPSC said.
For more information, call CPSC at 800-638-2772 or Dollar Tree at 800-876-8077.