Man Who Accidentally Inhaled Anthrax in Fair Condition

A man diagnosed with inhalation anthrax is in fair condition after he suffered a setback last week, hospital officials said.

Vado Diomande, a dancer and drum maker, collapsed on Feb. 17 after performing with his dance company in Pennsylvania. He is being treated at Robert Packer Hospital in Sayre, Pa.

The 44-year-old's health was downgraded from fair to serious on Thursday, when hospital officials said he experienced a temporary setback. His condition was changed to fair on Monday, and in a statement on Tuesday the hospital said Diomande continued to improve.

Diomande started experiencing flu-like symptoms in January after he traveled to Ivory Coast in December and brought back goat hides to make drums. Health officials believe he may have inhaled anthrax spores while making the instruments.

Contracting inhalation anthrax from natural sources is rare. The last U.S. case not linked to terrorism occurred in 1976.