COSTA MESA, Calif. – A middle school student faces expulsion for allegedly posting graphic threats against a classmate on the popular MySpace.com Web site, a district administrator said.
Twenty other students at TeWinkle Middle School were slapped with two-day suspensions for viewing the boy's posting on the social networking site, officials said.
"With what the students can get into using the technology we are all concerned about it," Bob Metz, Newport-Mesa Unified's assistant superintendent of secondary education, said Wednesday. "There is so much good, and there is so much that can cause difficulties."
According to parents of three TeWinkle students, the boy allegedly created a MySpace group on Jan. 3 that he called "I hate [girl's name]" and included an expletive and an anti-Semitic reference.
Five days later a second posting asked, "Who here in the [group name] wants to take a shotgun and blast her in the head over a thousand times?"
The posting was discovered by a TeWinkle teacher who was browsing MySpace.com, according to a police report. School officials and police identified 20 students who visited the site and suspended them last month.
Some parents said they were upset that their children were suspended for viewing the site from their home computers. The invitations to join the group and to view the second posting gave no indication of the site's content, they said.
Metz, however, said the suspensions were appropriate because the incident involved the safety of students on campus.
Costa Mesa police said they're looking into hate-crime charges against the boy.
FOXNews.com is owned and operated by News Corporation, which also owns and operates MySpace.com.