Neil Entwistle Pleads Not Guilty

The British man accused of killing his wife and infant daughter pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder charges at his arraignment on Thursday.

Wearing handcuffs, shackles and street clothes, Neil Entwistle, 27, showed no emotion and didn't speak as he stood in court while his attorney entered the plea.

The judge ordered Entwistle held without bail, granting the prosecutor's request. He was taken back to jail in an orange prison jumpsuit after the brief hearing ended.

Entwistle is charged with two counts of first-degree murder in the Jan. 20 shooting deaths of his wife, Rachel Entwistle, 27, and their 9-month-old daughter Lillian in their home in Hopkinton, a small town west of Boston.

A spokesman for the family, Joseph Flaherty, said after the proceedings that it was of little comfort to know Entwistle had been caught and charged with the crimes.

"To think that someone we loved, trusted, opened our home to could do this to our daughter and granddaughter is beyond belief," Flaherty told reporters on behalf of Rachel's parents, Priscilla and Joseph Matterazzo, who were in court for the arraignment.

Flaherty said the family was "learning the extent of his deceit" and "never suspected that Neil was anything other than a loving father, trusted son-in-law" and devoted husband.

The case has already attracted intense publicity, and the Boston lawyer assigned to defend Entwistle, Elliot Weinstein, said he was concerned his client would have no chance of receiving a fair trial.

"I believe people have already formed an opinion. That opinion is based on the reporting and that opinion is based on absolutely no facts and no evidence, and that is unfortunate," Weinstein told reporters on the courthouse steps after the hearing.

He said he didn't intend to get caught up in the media frenzy, however, and refused to answer specific questions about the case.

"I am not going to continue the publicity mill that surrounds this case," Weinstein said. "I'm going to vigorously, successfully defend Mr. Entwistle in the only arena that counts, the courtroom."

The crush of media slowed traffic outside the Framingham District Court building. One passing motorist yelled out: "Burn that baby killer."

Earlier, Entwistle arrived wearing a bulletproof vest at the Boston-area court nearly two hours before he was to be arraigned at 2 p.m. EST. He was escorted by authorities from the Hopkinton, Mass., police station to Framingham District Court and got there just before 12:15 p.m.

He made no eye contact with anyone as he was led, his hands and feet bound, out of the police car and into the courtroom.

His arraignment started shortly after 2 p.m. and took only a few minutes.

Prior to the hearing, Weinstein had revealed that a plea of not guilty would be entered. Prosecutor Michael Fabbri asked that Entwistle be held without bail, a common request in murder cases.

Entwistle flew home to England the same weekend the bodies of his wife and daughter were found cuddled together in bed. He voluntarily returned to Massachusetts in the company of U.S. marshals on Wednesday, almost a week after he was arrested in London.

Entwistle spent Wednesday night in a holding cell at the police station. Police Chief Tom Irvin released a statement saying that Entwistle went through "normal booking procedures." He was photographed and fingerprinted and allowed to meet with his attorney.

"All of our efforts will be to see that he receives the fairest of trials with the expectation of him being exonerated and held to be innocent for that which he is now charged," Weinstein told The Associated Press after he met with Entwistle.

Entwistle's arrival on a small jet at Hanscom Air Force Base west of Boston was captured by television cameras that showed him walking to a police cruiser with several state troopers. Entwistle, wearing handcuffs and leg shackles, kept his head bowed low.

Search warrant affidavits filed by law enforcement officials in the U.S. describe how Rachel Entwistle's relatives called police after the couple organized a dinner party but did not answer their door when guests arrived.

Officers discovered the bodies on Jan. 22, and found Entwistle's white BMW sport utility vehicle parked at Logan International Airport, in Boston.

In the documents, officers describe Entwistle as a secretive man who was sinking deep into debt. The documents say that in the days before the killings, he trolled the Internet looking for sexual partners and information on ways to kill people and commit suicide.

Middlesex District Attorney Martha Coakley said authorities believe Entwistle used his father-in-law's .22-caliber handgun in the shootings, and may have planned to turn the weapon on himself because of his mounting debts.

Instead of committing suicide, he drove the gun back to his father-in-law's house, then fled to his native England, authorities allege.

Flaherty said the family found it "outrageous" that Entwistle entered their home twice, once for the purpose of obtaining a murder weapon and once to put it back.

Entwistle was still described as "extremely suicidal" when he came back to the United States on Wednesday.

Entwistle met Rachel Souza, a Holy Cross student from Kingston, in 1999 at Britain's University of York, in northern England, where she was spending the year abroad.

The couple married in 2003 and lived in England. In April 2005, Lillian was born. The couple moved to Carver in southeastern Massachusetts last summer and lived with Rachel's relatives.

Last month, the family moved into a Colonial-style home they rented in Hopkinton.

Ten days later, the mother and daughter were found dead.

FOX News' Catherine Donaldson-Evans and The Associated Press contributed to this report.