Military trials of two terror suspects imprisoned at Guantanamo Bay (search) will be resumed "as soon as possible," in light of last week's court ruling against a detainee who challenged the legality of the system, Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld (search) said Monday.

At a Pentagon news conference, Rumsfeld applauded the court ruling.

"The court's ruling marks ates the president's determination to treat suspected terrorists humanely but not to grant them the protections of the Geneva Conventions (search) as a matter of right."

As a result of the ruling, the Pentagon also will prepare charges against eight other individuals held at the detention compound in Cuba, Rumsfeld said. It was his first public remarks on the subject since the ruling Friday by a three-judge panel of the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit.

The ruling, applauded earlier by Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, overturned a lower court ruling that had suspended the trials.

Rumsfeld did not name the two individuals whose trials will be resumed, but he referred to one as a person who "served as a personal body guard and driver for Usama bin Laden (search)."

The defense secretary declined to explain why only two trials would be resumed. Four trial proceedings had been started last summer before the court ruling that halted them. One of the four was Salim Ahmed Hamdan (search), a Yemeni who has acknowledged that he was a driver for bin Laden and whose legal representatives had challenged the legality of the military trials, which the Pentagon calls military commissions.

Hamdan's lawyers said after Friday's court ruling that they would appeal it.