More than 30 million people watched the Michael Jackson (search) verdict Monday afternoon, according to Nielsen estimates.
The reading of the verdict and its aftermath, which ran from roughly 4:43 p.m. to 6 p.m. EDT, snared a total of 30.5 million viewers .
FOX News Channel won the cable race with 4.8 million viewers (5:15-5:30 p.m.), followed by CNN (3.5 million) and MSNBC (1.5 million). Here's how the 30 million viewers watching the Jacko verdict compares to other big TV events:
* The first day of the Gulf War, 1991 (86 million viewers).
* Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks (80 million viewers).
* President Clinton's sex-scandal apology address, 1998 (67 million viewers).
* State of the Union Address, 1999 (44 million).
* Princess Diana's funeral, 1997 (33.3 million).