RALEIGH, N.C. – When she needed an operation to repair a torn rotator cuff last year, Carol Svec (search) did her research to find the best surgeon closest to her home.
Her search landed her at Duke Health Raleigh Hospital (search), owned by Duke University Health System, where she had surgery Nov. 15.
Now she wonders about her choice — not because of her doctor's skill but because she's among about 4,000 patients whose surgical instruments were incorrectly washed in hydraulic fluid instead of detergent.
"We put our faith in Duke and in one way, they failed us," Svec said Monday. "It seems to me that a good company with a good reputation should be bending over backwards for us."
Toward the end of last year, elevator workers Duke Health Raleigh Hospital and Durham Regional Hospital (search) drained hydraulic fluid into empty soap containers and capped them without changing the labels.
Not long afterward, medical staff complained that some of their surgical tools felt slick. But it was not until January that nearly 4,000 patients learned that for two months their surgeons had unknowingly used instruments washed in the slippery fluid instead of soap. The instruments also had been run through a steam bath for sterilization.
Duke University Health System (search) assured patients that the mix-up created little chance of medical problems. The hospital said it monitored infection rates and found no increase for the time the hydraulic fluid was used.
But a federal agency determined both hospitals had endangered patients.
Since the problem became public, at least one patient has sued the elevator company, complaining of severe infection, temporary loss of kidney functions and other ailments.
This week, a Raleigh lawyer began running television ads recruiting patients exposed to the fluid. About 15 or 20 former patients complaining of aching joints and infections have contacted him.
"What we really want is a response from Duke to prove their assertions that there was very little risk to the patients," attorney Thomas Henson said. "I mean, patients are hanging out there with problems and Duke won't give an answer to us."
Both hospitals have created plans to prevent such problems in the future, a Duke spokeswoman said Monday. The university's health system also includes Duke University Hospital, widely considered one of the nation's top medical facilities.
"I find myself wondering if my very slow recovery from this is due to the fact that there was hydraulic fluid on the surgical instruments," said Svec, 46, of Raleigh. "Maybe this is how I would have recovered under normal circumstances, but we don't know."
Opinions on the potential harm from the fluid varied. A report by the federal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services said the hospitals' errors put patients in "immediate jeopardy."
But state investigators — while citing the hospitals and the elevator company for mistakes that created the confusion, including poor communication and improper labeling of chemicals — did not consider the problem serious, said spokeswoman Heather Crews of the state Labor Department.
At least one medical expert questioned how the error could happen and how it was allowed to persist through 3,800 operations performed in November and December.
"It should be pretty easy to see when you start to wash something that detergent is different from hydraulic fluid," said Dr. Michael Grodin, director of medical ethics at the Boston University School of Medicine. He said the two fluids normally have different colors and textures.
There is little data on how hydraulic fluids — made of many kinds of chemicals that are used in cars, industrial machinery and airplanes — affect humans. In studies, rabbits that inhaled the fluid had trouble breathing and other animals experienced nervous system tremors and well as diarrhea and breathing problems.
"It's pretty toxic stuff," Grodin said.
Duke has struggled with patient safety issues since February 2003, when a surgeon accidentally transplanted a heart and lungs of the wrong blood type into 17-year-old Jessica Santillan. She received a second transplant but soon died.
A federal inspection prompted by Santillan's death found toxic chemicals stored next to food and other problems. Later that year, two infants were burned in separate incidents in the hospital's neonatal intensive care unit.
After the problems were revealed, Duke officials pledged major changes to the hospital's patient safety programs to avoid a potential loss of more than $300 million in Medicare and Medicaid reimbursements.