Hacking to Be Sentenced for Wife's Murder

A Utah man who admitted to shooting his sleeping wife and dumping her body in a trash bin last July will be sentenced for her murder Monday.

Mark Hacking (search) pleaded guilty to the crime in April. He'll likely receive a sentence of six years to life in prison.

Lori Hacking's (search) remains were found in a landfill in October.

Investigators believe Hacking killed his wife after she learned he had not been accepted to medical school. The couple was preparing to move to North Carolina; Hacking claimed he was enrolled at the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill.

Hacking reported his wife missing on July 19, 2004, telling friends and family she had gone out for a jog and hadn't returned.

That same day, hours after making a televised plea for his wife's return, Hacking was spotted running around a local motel naked. He was admitted to a psychiatric hospital.

As a massive search for Lori Hacking's body was under way, a string of lies Mark Hacking had told his wife and family came to light. Investigators discovered that not only had Hacking not been admitted to medical school, he had never even graduated from college.

They also discovered Lori Hacking's car keys and wallet, discounting Mark Hacking's claim that she had driven out to a nearby park to jog. It was also found that Hacking had dumped the couple's mattress and had purchased a new one just before he phoned police to report his wife missing.

Family members and friends were stunned at the revelations. A little more than a week after Lori Hacking disappeared, Mark Hacking confessed to his brothers that he killed her.

Two-and-a-half months later, Lori Hacking's remains were found in a Salt Lake county landfill.

There was speculation after Hacking was arrested that he would plead innocent by reason of insanity. But according to local newspapers, none of the possible key witnesses in the case were ever contacted by defense attorneys, signaling Hacking decided to avoid going to trial some time ago.