A jury awarded $8.25 million Friday to a family whose child was badly burned as a premature baby when his hospital bedding caught fire.

Lawyers for Craig and Shelley Laporte argued that the child -- a quadruplet -- suffered serious burns and long-term lung damage about three months after his birth in 1997, when a doctor at William Beaumont Hospital used a cauterizing tool and sparked a flash fire.

Nathan, now 7, cannot talk or dress himself, cannot breathe on his own and has learning disabilities. In a wheelchair and hooked to his ventilator, he appeared in court Tuesday for closing arguments in the six-week case.

The hospital has acknowlere than $280 million in the case.