Marines Scare Churchgoers

California churchgoers called the cops on three strange men they thought were skinheads — but the bald trio turned out to be Marines looking for a buddy.

"They have short Marine haircuts, and someone perceives that they're skinheads, and that they were intimidating people," San Bernardino County (search) sheriff's Sgt. Frank Gonzales told the Inland Valley Daily Bulletin of Ontario, Calif. "It turns out that was not the case, and they were very polite."

It all began April 24 at Spanish-language mass at St.Peter and St. Paul Roman Catholic Church in Rancho Cucamonga (search), about 40 miles east of Los Angeles.

During the service, three bald men in civilian clothes came in and sat down.

Before Mass had even finished, the three suddenly got up, walked to the front of the room, turned and faced the congregation in silence for a few moments — and then left.

"It was very disrespectful," said parishioner Aida Nordahl, who said she and her fellow congregants were put ill at ease.

The next Sunday, May 1, the three men came back, sitting among worshippers and talking to each other during Mass.

That's when someone in the congregation called the sheriff's department.

The three men told deputies that they'd just returned from service in Iraq and were looking for a friend they thought might attend services at the church.

When they didn't see him in the congregation the first time, they came back a week later.

The Rev. Patrick Kirsch explained what had happened to relieved parishioners, and said he considered the matter closed.

"We don't want to make it more than it is," he said. "I was reassured by the police that [the men] wouldn't be back."

Snow Sculpture Lands Creators in Court

A frozen sculpture has two Wyoming men facing obscenity charges.

Spring snow that blanketed Laramie on April 21 gave Brandon Arp, 20, and Aric Davenport, 19, the opportunity to exercise their artistic skills, reports the Laramie Boomerang.

Like so many Renaissance sculptors, the young pair decided to celebrate the human form — in this case, by shaping snow into the form of enormous male genitals.

Their efforts drew the attention, if not the appreciation, of their neighbors and the local constabulary, which ordered the sculpture destroyed for being "offensive to other residents in the area."

Later, after an "anatomically correct snowman" had also been destroyed across town, Arp and Davenport found themselves cited for promoting obscenity.

Both pleaded not guilty at their arraignments last Friday and posted $1,000 bond each.

Davenport's lawyer has filed a motion to dismiss his client's charge, saying the state has failed to show who was offended by the giant frozen phallus, and that it was protected under the First Amendment in any case.

— Thanks to an anonymous Out There reader

Sticky Situation at Florida High School

BRADENTON, Fla. (AP) — About 1,000 high school students were kept out of their classrooms temporarily after someone glued the room locks in what is believed to be a costly senior prank.

More than 75 locks had to be drilled open Monday at Bayshore High School (search), and hundreds of teens missed their first two classes of the day.

Two hooded people were taped by school security cameras before dawn Monday, said Manatee County sheriff's Deputy Greg Jenkins.

Investigators hope to file burglary and vandalism charges against the glue dispensers, but no arrests have been made. Deputies expect to get help identifying the suspects.

One of the locksmiths called to help get the doors swinging again estimated the repair cost at $6,000 plus. Extra security was placed on campus Monday night because not all of the new locks had been installed.

Senior pranks are usual at Bayshore near the end of the school year. Someone left an alligator in a school courtyard last week. In the past, someone flew a pair of pants from the flagpole at the school about 30 miles south of Tampa.

"Pranks are funny, but this was out of hand," said senior Amanda McCormick, who was stuck in the gym for three hours.

Others reveled in the commotion.

"Everybody's like, 'Wow, this is our senior class, we're awesome,'" said Jessi Powell. "It's funny, but I'm just glad I wasn't part of it."

— Thanks to Out There reader Ralph J.

Job Applicant Overly Optimistic About Chances

AMHERST, Ohio (AP) — It wasn't Laurie Ralston's resume that got the attention of police. It was her record.

Ralston applied last Thursday for a job as a dispatcher with the Amherst police department. When they did a background check, police quickly found out she has 17 traffic convictions, including seven speeding tickets and two citations for driving without a license.

Ralston was called in Friday for what she was told would be an interview. Instead, she was arrested and charged with failing to appear in court and driving without a license.

Ralston said she had no idea police were after her.

"It was just a little excessive to have that type of background and try to get a shot at this type of job," Lt. Joseph Kucirek said.

Bullet Pulled From Man's Head After 17 Years

DETROIT (AP) — It is no longer technically correct to refer to Chuck Smith as "Bullethead."

The warehouse worker from Detroit picked up the nickname after being shot in the head by unknown assailants while changing a tire in the summer of 1988. He left the chunk of lead lodged against his skull when a doctor said it would not pose a danger.

"I just didn't see a need to get it out," Smith said.

But Smith, now 41, had the .22-caliber bullet removed last week, after experiencing recurring headaches, numbness and tingling for several days.

Doctors inserted needles to anesthetize him before extracting the slug, which came out flattened and black and slightly smaller than a pencil eraser.

"That bullet felt better going in than coming out," Smith said, smiling.

Woman Picked Up, Then Abandoned by Bear

ALBRIGHTSVILLE, Pa. (AP) — Kathleen Feeney had a frightening encounter with a bear — and lived to tell about it.

Feeney, 21, of Philadelphia, said she was too frightened to move as the animal tore off her poncho and sweat shirt, clawed at her back and bit her head, and wondered, "When will it stop?"

"At one point," she said Monday, "the bear lay down beside me."

Feeney was camping on the eastern edge of Hickory Run State Park (search) with two friends Saturday when she returned to camp and found the bear in a tent, and ran back to the others with the bear chasing her.

When the bear dragged Feeney into the woods, one of her companions said he shouted, "Play dead, Kathleen."

Feeney said the bear tore at her clothes, bit her, covered her with brush and tree branches, and eventually left. She said she could hear her friend yelling, "Run to my voice."

Feeney was treated for scratch marks on her back, bites on the back of her head and a puncture wound on her leg. She was discharged Sunday.

Park officials said it was the first attack by a bear in Hickory Run's history.

Compiled by FOX News' Paul Wagenseil.

Got a good "Out There" story in your hometown? We'd like to know about it. Send an e-mail, with a Web link (we need to authenticate these things), to