Amber Alert Children Found Safe

Police say two children sought in an Amber Alert have been found safe.

The Amber Alert (search) was issued across Georgia and the Carolinas on Tuesday after a man allegedly shot his ex-girlfriend's father and abducted her two young children.

Police say Terrance McDowell (search) sexually assaulted his former girlfriend early Tuesday morning after forcing his way into her Conley, Ga., home at gunpoint. He then allegedly shot the ex-girlfriend's 64-year-old father iren in the woman's car.

Police issued an Amber Alert, saying that the 27-year-old McDowell is believed to have taken his ex-girlfriend's 4-year-old daughter, Faith McDowell, and 5-year-old son, Jaquan Wright, and that the children were in extreme danger. McDowell is the father of the girl, but not the older boy.
The Amber Alert was also extended to South Carolina and North Carolina. McDowell has relatives in North Carolina, police said.

McDowell is being sought for rape, burglary, aggravated sodomy, two counts of aggravated assault and 2 counts of kidnapping, said Clayton County Police Capt. Tim Robinson.

McDowell was described as 6-feet-tall, 185 pounds and was last seen wearing a red shirt and blue jeans. Police were searching for green 1998 Kia Sephia with the license plate ARL 5783.
Faith was last seen wearing a pink shirt and had white beads in her braided hair. Jaquan was wearing a red shirt. The children both were described as about 4-feet-tall and about 45 pounds.

The ex-girlfriend's father was in critical condition at Grady Memorial Hospital (search) on Tuesday, said Capt. Jeff Turner. Police are not releasing the father's name to protect the identity of the sexual assault victim, he said.

McDowell was supposed to be at the woman's home Monday evening to visit his daughter but instead arrived at 3 a.m. Tuesday. Conley is about 10 miles southeast of Atlanta.

Police say they had been called to the woman's home a few days ago as well.

On Sunday, police came to the woman's house after she reported that McDowell had broken into her home by climbing through her bedroom window. She told police that they got into an argument and he hit her in the face several times and then threw a cordless phone through a window, Robinson said.

McDowell was gone by the time police arrived and no warrant for his arrest was made. On Monday, the woman went to a Jonesboro, Ga., magistrate court to obtain a warrant for his arrest and the court assigned a hearing for the matter for another day, said Robinson. He did not immediately know when the court hearing was scheduled.