Old habits seem to die hard for one Kentucky man, who last week may have held up the same bank he was convicted of robbing six years ago.

Glen Scott Gemmer, 34, was back behind bars Thursday, having apparently confessed to the previous day's heist after being picked up by Cincinnati cops on unrelated charges.

"On Jan. 12, 1999, he robbed the same exact bank the same exact way, and he went to prison for five years," Bellevue, Ky., police chief Bill Cole told the Kentucky Post.

Then-sergeant Cole arrested Gemmer after the 1999 robbery of the Bellevue Fifth Third bank (search) in the Cincinnati suburb.

"What happened then," Cole explained, "was he took a taxi and he got out about a block away from the bank, walked down to the bank, gave the teller a note ... then walked back to the cab and rode away. ... This time, he used essentially the same method."

But Cole pointed out that Gemmer's first note threatened that he would "start shooting," even though no gun was used.

Last Wednesday, Cole said, Gemmer was trying to frame a friend, writing his name on the front of the deposit slip he used as the stickup note.

In 1999, Gemmer told police he blew the $11,000 bank haul on a 5-day crack binge. In 2005, Cincinnati police arrested him on drug charges before he allegedly confessed to the recent holdup.

— Thanks to Out There reader Becky S.

Man Robs Bank, Goes to Prison in Name of Research

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — A man caught in a parked car counting loot from the bank he'd just robbed, with his fake mustache falling off, told the judge who gave him a nine-year term that prison would be an opportunity for his further study of criminal behavior.

"I've talked to kids about crime across this country and on three continents," John L. Stanley (search) told U.S. District Judge Fernando Gaitan at his sentencing last Tuesday. "But there are some things about crime you can't understand unless you get into the belly of the beast."

Since the 1960s, Stanley, 61, has done prison time for a series of non-violent property crimes, written a book about living as a fugitive in Mexico, taken college criminology courses, consulted the insurance industry, lectured extensively and hosted a Dallas radio program called "Crime Wise With John Stanley."

In December, Stanley admitted to robbing the Kansas City bank in June. Officers had easily caught him nearby, counting some of the $8,200 haul. In his car they found a handgun and a set of crooked false teeth.

"You can take a butterfly and put it on a light stand, but until you are a butterfly and fly, you can't understand why a butterfly flies," he told the judge.

The judge pressed for further explanation of why Stanley robbed the bank with the apparent intention of being caught.

"So I could be secluded and do the things I need to do while I still have the time," Stanley said.

"So you can do research on the criminal mind?" Gaitan asked.

"Yes, sir," Stanley replied.

"I've been around this business for a long time and thought I'd seen everything," the judge said. "But you've shown me something new."

Woman Can't Afford Cab, Steals Police Car

CARNEGIE, Pa. (AP) — A woman who apparently needed a ride home from a bar drove off in a police cruiser that was parked outside a police station, an officer said.

Theresa E. Zygula, 49, was charged Wednesday with theft and driving under the influence for stealing a police car that morning, police Chief Jeff Harbin said.

Zygula left a bar after it had closed and walked across the street to the Pittsburgh suburb's police department, Harbin said.

She knocked on the door, but when she didn't get a response, Zygula drove away in the police car, he said.

An officer using the restroom left his cruiser unattended with the engine running, Harbin said.

"She told officers later that she only had 80 cents on her and she had no way to get home," Harbin said.

Police found the car parked on a street later that morning. Footprints in the snow led officers from the car to a house in which Zygula was staying, Harbin said.

Security Device Biased Against Fat Cops

STOCKHOLM, Sweden (AP) — Portly police have a new reason to work out thanks to a new security entrance at the National Police headquarters that won't let them in if they weigh too much.

A construction error in the recently remodeled security entrance, which has a built-in scale designed to only let one person at a time pass through the door, has caused some embarrassing moments for officers who may not have spent enough time exercising.

Those weighing more than 230 pounds who try to pass through the entrance are greeted by a recorded voice telling them: "Stop! One at a time!" and are not let through, police spokeswoman Linda Widmark said.

She said the scale is supposed to be adjustable to let people weighing up to 350 pounds pass through, but an apparent construction error is playing tricks on those with ample girth.

"We'll have to get that fixed," Widmark said. "We've got some big strong men around here."

The security entrance is mainly for visitors and police denied entrance can use other doors.

"There are other options for them," she said.

Boy, 8, Arrested for Temper Tantrum

WILLIAMSBURG, Va. (AP) — Police arrested an 8-year-old boy who allegedly had a violent outburst in school, head-butting his teacher and kicking an assistant principal, when he was told he couldn't go outside to play with other students.

The 4-foot pupil was led from Rawls Byrd Elementary School (search) in handcuffs last Tuesday and charged with disorderly conduct and assault and battery.

"It's not something that happens every day," Maj. Stan Stout said of what could be the department's youngest arrest ever.

Stout said the chair-tossing, desk-turning outburst occurred after a teacher, and later the assistant principal, attempted to stop the boy from joining his classmates.

The child was later released to his parents.

Immovable Object Struck by Irresistible Force

OSLO, Norway (AP) — Norwegian homeowner Odin Viken woke with a jolt Monday, fearing his house was being shaken by an earthquake.

But this earthquake was man-made: A 26-ton tank slammed into Viken's house in Vassbotna, some 350 miles north of Oslo, the military said.

The Norwegian tank, a CV-90 armored fighting vehicle (search), was part of the 15-nation Battle Griffin military exercise in western and northern Norway, a statement said. There were no injuries.

The tank went through a wall and part way into the bathroom, Viken said on national radio.

"It sounded like an earthquake. The whole house shook, and it was terrible," he said. "I was very afraid and very angry."

The military said the cause of the accident was being investigated, while Viken said the driver told him that he lost control after the vehicle struck an ice patch.

It has not been good week for Norwegian tank drivers.

On Wednesday, a 40-ton Leopard tank (search) ran over a nearly new Mercedes-Benz on a roadway, flattening half the car but causing no injuries.

The Battle Griffin exercise with 14,000 NATO and other troops lasts through March 11.

Compiled by FOX News' Paul Wagenseil.

Got a good "Out There" story in your hometown? We'd like to know about it. Send an e-mail, with a Web link (we need to authenticate these things), to outthere@foxnews.com.