On a typical day, the Coast Guard will:
• Save 11 lives
• Assist 328 people in distress
• Protect $2.8 million in property
• Investigate 17 marine accidents
• Intercept 176 illegal immigrants at sea
• Conduct 109 search and rescue cases
• Seize $9.6 million worth of illegal drugs
• Respond to 20 oil and hazardous chemical spills
• Educate 502 people in boating and safety courses
• Process 238 seaman's documents
• Conduct 377 courtesy safety checks
How YOU Can Help the Coast Guard:
• Look out for suspicious persons conducting unusual activity near bridges or high-security areas on or near the water.
• Watch for unknown persons photographing or diagraming the underside of bridges, fuel docks, cruise-line, or commercial vessels.
• Note suspicious vendors trying to sell or drop off packages in waterfront areas.
• Look for unknown persons loitering for extended periods of time in waterfront areas.
• Observe all security zones.
• Keep a sharp eye out and immediately report anything that looks peculiar or out of the ordinary. Call your local authorities, or marina security officials or the National Response Center's Terrorist Hotline at 1-800-424-8802.
For more information, please visit The Coast Guard website.