Staten Island (search) man bombarded an email address at MSNBC with thousands of emails, including more than a dozen messages threatening NBC anchor Tom Brokaw (search), prosecutors charged in recently filed court papers.

A partially sealed, 66-count indictment filed in state Supreme Court on Staten Island alleges that Steven Koplan, 46, sent the emails "anonymously and otherwise" with the "intent to harass, annoy, threaten and alarm" Brokaw, the Staten Island Advance reported Friday.

Koplan allegedly sent 3,500 messages to MSNBC over two months last year, including 13 that threatened Brokaw, according to the indictment, which was filed on Thursday, the Advance said.

The indictment, which was partially sealed, charges Koplan with second-degree aggravated harassment, a misdemeanor.

The specific contents of the messages was not contained in the court papers.

Koplan, who pleaded innocent to the misdemeanor charge on March 10, said he did not intend to harm the anchorman.

"Tom is just trying to help me," he told the Advance. "I indicated to the staff at MSNBC I would never act out on any of that." Koplan asserted he had never threatened Brokaw but he later told the Advance, "I'm no threat any longer to Mr. Brokaw."

He gave a meandering explanation of his behavior, attributing it to various events including the political assassinations of the 1960s and a kitchen installation company he claimed was trying to extort money from him, the Advance said.

Koplan's lawyer, Maria Guastella, could not be reached for comment, the Advance said.

NBC spokesman Barbara Levin declined to comment to the Advance on Brokaw's behalf. She said the matter was in the hands of authorities.