Former Republican Senate candidate Jack Ryan (search) is offering refunds to donors following last week's collapse of his campaign amid embarrassing sex allegations.
Ryan had raised about $1.5 million since winning the Republican nomination, said Jason Miller, who managed Ryan's campaign. He said donors to the general election fund will be informed of Ryan's decision next week.
The campaign has not released figures on how much has already been spent, but Miller said Ryan will spend his own money for any bills and staff salaries that are not covered.
"Jack's committed to reaching into his own pocket to make sure that everyone in the campaign is paid," Miller said Tuesday.
Miller said the campaign expects about half of the donors to request refunds. Campaign communications director Kelli Phiel did not immediately return calls Wednesday about the campaign's finances.
Ryan, a 44-year-old investment banker turned teacher, saw his once promising candidacy torpedoed last week after a California judge opened records from his 1999 divorce from television actress Jeri Lynn Ryan. In them, Jeri Ryan (search) contended her ex-husband took her to sex clubs and tried to pressure her to perform sex acts in front of others.
Jack Ryan denied the allegations but dropped out of the race on Friday after conceding the accusations would distract from the campaign. State Republicans have said it could take three weeks to name his replacement.