HEARNE, Texas – A television journalist (search) covering a gas well explosion (search) was apparently electrocuted Tuesday when his station's van came in contact with high voltage wiring, the station said.
Matt Moore, an employee of KBTX in Bryan-College Station (search), was setting up for a live shot in Hearne when he was killed.
The explosion he was covering in nearby Franklin, about 100 miles northeast of Austin, injured eight people, but the well was capped quickly and the fire extinguished, officials said.
Moore, 23, started working for the station in September.
All eight victims of the explosion were hospitalized, with their conditions ranging from fair to critical, according to Angela Clendenin, a spokeswoman for St. Joseph Regional Health Center.