RALEIGH, N.C. – An Army reservist who had been missing in Iraq since a convoy attack April 9 has been confirmed dead, the military said Saturday. Another soldier and a contract worker abducted in the same attack remain unaccounted for.
The remains of Sgt. Elmer Krause (search) were found Friday, according to a statement from the Department of Defense.
"He went over there and he didn't express any regrets," Krause's older brother, Jim, told reporters at the entrance to Travis Air Force Base in Fairfield, Calif.
Jim Krause said Saturday his brother said he hoped to provide leadership to younger soldiers.
"His birthday would have been tomorrow. He was more than 40 years old and going over to fight," he said. "This is difficult for us, but his determination strengthens us."
Sgt. Krause was part of a convoy that was attacked outside Baghdad. Thomas Hamill (search), a Halliburton employee from Macon, Miss., was seen on video after the attack, but there has been no word from him since. Pfc. Keith M. Maupin, seen on separate video footage, also has not been found.
Krause, 40, was assigned to the Army Reserve's 724th Transportation Company, Bartonville, Ill.
A California native, he previously served in the U.S. Navy and relocated to Greensboro four or five years ago, friends have said. In Greensboro, he worked as a painter at Timco Aviation Services (search). He was divorced with a 9-year-old son.
Army officials have previously said Krause enlisted in the reserves in 1987 and was promoted to sergeant in 1995.