BROOMFIELD, Colo. – The head of a rape crisis center said Tuesday that two women have come forward to say they were sexually assaulted by University of Colorado (search) football players in the past three months.
If the allegations are true, it would mean football players were assaulting women even as the school's recruiting scandal was making national headlines and university officials were vowing to crack down.
Eight women since 1997 have accused Colorado football players or recruits of rape. No assault charges have been filed in any of the cases.
Three of the women have sued the school, saying they were raped at or just after an off-campus party attended by football players and recruits in 2001.
Janine D'Anniballe made the allegation during a public meeting of a panel investigating whether the football team used alcohol and sex to entice recruits.
D'Anniballe, executive director of Moving to End Sexual Assault in Boulder (search), said confidentiality rules barred her from disclosing details, including whether the players are still on the team.
A spokesman for Attorney General Ken Salazar (search), who is leading a separate criminal investigation into the scandal, declined to comment when asked whether new cases had been reported. Campus and Boulder police both referred calls to Salazar's office.
University spokeswoman Michele Ames said the new information underscores the importance of the ongoing investigations. She declined further comment when reached by telephone.
Luis Rovira, commissioner of the eight-member panel investigating the team's practices, wouldn't comment on D'Anniballe's statement Tuesday.
"I have no reason to believe her and no reason to acknowledge it's incorrect," he said. "I just don't know."