WASHINGTON – A Spanish national being held by the U.S. government at the prison for terror suspects in Guantanamo Bay (search), Cuba, has been transferred into the custody of the Spanish government, the Department of Defense (search) said today.
Senior leadership at the DOD and other senior government officials determined that the detainee no longer required detention in the U.S.
The detainee, whose identity was not released, is the fourth transfer or release from the prison, which has held hundreds of suspected Al Qaeda (search) and Taliban (search) fighters since the U.S.-led war in Afghanistan that followed the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks. Last month, three teenage boys were released from Guantanamo and sent back to their home countries. The Pentagon said it was determined they no longer posed a threat to the United States.
Transfer or release of detainees can be based on many factors, including whether an individual would pose a threat to the United States, if an individual is of further intelligence value and whether an individual is going to be tried by the U.S. government for any crimes.
DOD officials said they expected there will likely be further transfers or releases of detainees.
Fox News' Ian McCaleb contributed to this report.