WILKES-BARRE, Pa. – An escaped inmate charged with two murders and suspected of three others surrendered to police at his home Monday night after three days on the run, Fox News has confirmed.
Hugo Selenski (search)'s surrender was negotiated through his lawyer and he is now at the state police barracks in Wyoming, Pa.
Selenski, who escaped Friday night from the Luzerne County Correctional Facility (search) by climbing down a 60-foot rope of knotted bedsheets, was taken into custody at 8:45 p.m. after his attorney called to arrange the surrender, said state police Trooper Tom Kelly.
Police had gone to his home earlier in the evening but had been refused entry by Selenski's girlfriend, Christina Strom, Kelly said. About 45 minutes after they left, Selenski's attorney, Demetrius Fannick, called to arrange the surrender, Kelly said.
"He's in custody, we're happy and it ended apparently without anyone being hurt, so that's good," Kelly said.
Police had said earlier in the day that they had reason to believe that Selenski was still in the area, although there had been no confirmed sightings of him.
Selenski was being held without bail after arraignment on charges of escape and possession of weapons or implements for escape.
Selenski, 30, and his cellmate, Scott Bolton, 39, removed a 12-inch-by-18-inch window from the seventh floor of the correctional facility at about 9:40 p.m. Friday. Bolton fell and was captured on a rooftop, critically injured.
Bolton told a prison guard, a police officer and a medical worker that Selenski pushed him during their escape, prison officials said. Selenski then used a prison mattress to protect himself against razor wire atop a metal fence to complete his escape.
Selenski was arraigned before District Justice John J. Hopkins on charges of escape and possession of weapons or implements for escape. He was ordered held without bail, and a preliminary hearing was tentatively scheduled for Oct. 22 before District Justice Martin Kane.
Selenski was wearing different clothes than on day of escape, but hadn't changed his appearance, County prosecutor David Lupas said.
The visit to Selenski's house today was part of regular checks, state police Capt. Carmen R. Altavilla said.
"We've been out there every single day," he said. Lupas declined to say whether authorities knew Selenski was inside the home before getting the call from his lawyer.
Selenski had been in jail since June, when he was charged with murdering two people whose bodies were exhumed from behind his home near Wilkes-Barre (search), which is about 100 miles northwest of Philadelphia. Prosecutors said two victims were killed in May as part of a plot to make money by kidnapping and robbing drug dealers.
He also is a suspect in the deaths of three others, whose bodies were also recovered from his property. No charges have been filed in those deaths. A man cooperating with authorities led investigators to the five bodies in Selenski's yard and claims to know of at least 11 other murders. Authorities are skeptical of his claims.
Bolton remained in critical condition Monday night at the Milton S. Hershey Medical Center with multiple internal injuries and broken bones.
Lupas, who has harshly criticized the apparent security breaches that led up to the escape and called for an investigation, said Selenski would not be returned to the same jail.
"He's going to be lodged and imprisoned at an undisclosed location," Lupas said. "There were no deals or anything of that nature given to him."
The Associated Press contributed to this report.