And now the most scintillating two minutes in television, the latest from the wartime grapevine:
U.S. Stands By Their Man
After North Korean officials called Undersecretary of State John Bolton (search) ‘rude human scum’ for saying, ‘life is a hellish nightmare in North Korea (search),’ the White House stood by Bolton, saying he was, ‘speaking for the administration.’ Well, one week later, North Korea is now shooting off more artillery, calling Bolton, ‘like an animal running about recklessly, devoid of reason, and an ugly fellow who cannot be regarded as a human being.’ In addition, North Korea says, Bolton is endangering the multilateral talks aimed at dismantling North Korea's nuclear program. The U.S. is still standing by Bolton.
California Democratic Governor Gray Davis (search) says the effort to recall him is, ‘an insult’ to those who voted for him last November, but…as we told you earlier…most Californians don't agree. And neither do most Americans. A new rasmussenreports.com poll shows that 69 percent of Americans say voters should have the right to recall a governor. What's more, 49 percent of Americans say voters should have the right to recall the president, and 61 percent say voters should have the right to recall a member of Congress.
Governor On The Go
Meanwhile, a motorcade carrying Gray Davis from Sacramento to Los Angeles has been clocked going 94 mph on a two-lane, 55 mph road. The motorcade would not pull over when pursued by a California Highway Patrol officer, sparking a 5-mile chase. According to the LA Times, members of Davis's security detail eventually identified themselves, and the officer backed off. California Highway Patrol officials, however, say everyone must obey traffic laws, even the governor and his motorcade.
More Unreliable Times
The New York Times now says a story it published last week claiming that military officials had said two American soldiers and their interpreter were killed by a homemade bomb that exploded under their convoy was, ‘an erroneous account.’ It turns out there was no such bomb and no such casualties. And, as the Times admits in a recent editor's note, the so-called ‘military officials’ who provided the story were in fact a single Army private not authorized as a spokesman. The Times says it has since been unable to contact the private. According to opinionjournal.com, Centcom (search) officials had expressed doubt about the story, but the Times failed to mention that in its original account.
— FOX News' Michael Levine contributed to this report
With more than 35 years of journalism experience to draw from, Brit Hume currently serves as a senior political analyst for FOX News Channel (FNC) and contributes to all major political coverage. Hume also is regular panelist on FOX's weekly public affairs program, "FOX News Sunday" on Sundays at 2 p.m. and 6 p.m. ET. Click here for more information on Brit Hume.