Veteran newscaster John Gibson gets to the core of the most salient issues facing America today as host of FNC's hard-hitting primetime show The Big Story with John Gibson, airing Monday through Friday at 5 p.m. ET, with expert legal analysis from Judge Andrew Napolitano and in-depth field reports from correspondent Heather Nauert.
The celebration of American independence is really a celebration of Americans — great and small — who were free to follow their dreams.
The Big Story profiles six American originals who've made a difference in our lives. We’ll ask them about their work, why it's unique and how they make a distinct contribution to the landscape of the country.
• At 84, Lawrence Ferlinghetti continues to shine as the driving force behind San Francisco's City Lights bookstore (search), easily the coolest bookstore in America.
• The U.S. Constitution guarantees freedom of the press (search). The war in Iraq is just one example of why that bedrock freedom is so important, but it wouldn't mean much without reporters willing to enter the combat zone. Ilene Prusher, foreign correspondent for the Christian Science Monitor, is one such journalist.
• Affirmative action (search) and racial diversity have become part of the American landscape. John McWhorter is author of Losing the Race: Self-Sabotage in Black America and a senior fellow in public policy at the Manhattan Institute.
• For 30 years, Americans have been carrying on a love affair with video games. Nolan Bushnell is often called the "father of the video game industry." He's best known as the co-founder of Atari Corporation... remember Pong and Pac-Man?
• Sometimes history is the result of good detective work. And sometimes, if you're lucky, you can bring history back to life. A newly discovered opera by the Italian composer Gaetano Donizetti (search) will premiere later this month at the Caramoor Music Festival (search), and conducting will be the guy who did all the detective work — Caramoor Opera Director Will Crutchfield.
• Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson, make room for Pat Green. He's described as a modern-day messiah of Texas music with shows selling out wherever he goes and a new CD on the way.
Be sure to tune into The Big Story with John Gibson ... weekdays at 5 p.m. ET.