State Rests in Windshield Murder Trial

The son of a homeless man who died after becoming lodged in a windshield when he was hit by a car testified Wednesday that his father was "very, very loving."

"He was very hardworking and was very friendly, although he didn't have many friends," said Brandon Biggs, 20.

After the testimony, the state rested its case in the murder trial of Chante Mallard (search), a 27-year-old nurse's aide who is accused of hitting the elder Biggs with her car and leaving him to die stuck in her windshield.

Brandon Biggs, a college student, said his parents divorced when he was young, but he kept in touch with his father.

He said his father was diagnosed with bipolar disorder (search) and mild pschyzophrenia (search) and had been living on the streets for a year and half. He said he lost touch with him about three months before his death.

Earlier, the Tarrant County (search) medical examiner testified that Biggs probably died about two hours after the incident.

Biggs, 37, suffered a broken right thigh bone and broken shin bones in his right leg and his right arm, Dr. Nizam Peerwani testified. The lower part of his left leg was nearly amputated, and he had gouges or cuts in his torso.

Despite that, the medical examiner testified Biggs did not suffer from any serious medical condition before the incident and that Mallard's driving home aggravated his injuries.

The medical examiner said the injuries would not have prevented him from moving his hands and talking.

"He was obviously in severe, excruciating pain," Peerwani said.

On Tuesday, Clete Jackson said Mallard had borrowed a car and picked him up some six hours after she struck Biggs on a highway and drove home with his bloody body lodged in the windshield.

Jackson testified that after Mallard showed him the car, the two drove to the apartment of Titilisee Fry, with whom Mallard drank and took drugs shortly before hitting Biggs. They discussed what to do.

"I said, `We ain't going to burn nobody.' We're going to put him somewhere so his family can find him so they can bury him, because it was an accident," said Jackson, his voice sometimes quivering.

The group decided to dump the body in a park.

That night Jackson and his cousin, Herbert Tyrone Cleveland, went with Mallard to her house. Jackson said he apologized to the lifeless Biggs as he spread a blanket on the garage floor and opened the passenger door.

"His weight was shifted against the car door. His body topped out, sort of," Jackson said. "I just got a shovel and put his leg inside the blanket."

The body of Biggs, who had been living in a homeless shelter, was found in Cobb Park on Oct. 27, 2001.

Jackson and Cleveland have pleaded guilty to tampering with evidence in exchange for their testimony at Mallard's trial. Jackson was sentenced to 10 years; Cleveland, nine years.

Jackson also said the Ecstasy that Mallard took the previous night seemed to remain in her system the next day. She "was in a zone," was crying uncontrollably and even threatened to commit suicide, he said.

Jackson said he had only been out of jail a few months after serving a two-year prison sentence for burglary when Mallard sought his help. He said he didn't want to, but did because he believed it was an accident.

"You don't hit nobody on purpose that you don't know," said Jackson, wearing a brown prison uniform.