NEW YORK – The Who Wants to Be a Millionaire coughing scandal could be turned into a Hollywood film.
It would be the final chapter in the biggest quiz-show cheating scheme since the Charles van Doren scandal of the '50s.
In a story that has capitivated Britain, three people were convicted last month of cheating to win the grand prize on Millionaire.
A former army major was accused of stationing a college-professor friend in the audience to telegraph correct answers with coughing code.
Ironically, the show's producers who were nearly cheated out of $1.5 million now stand to make millions from a Hollywood movie about the scam.
Catherine Zeta Jones and Hugh Grant have already been mentioned as possible stars.
On Monday, a documentary about the scandal became the most-watched, non-fiction program since the funeral of Princess Diana in 1997.
Roughly 17 million viewers -- almost 56 percent of the available television audience in the U.K. -- tuned in to watch Millionare: a Major Fraud, which included interviews with most of he major players.
The documentary was narrated and produced by Martin Bashir, the journalist behind the controversial Michael Jackson film that aired as a highly rated 20/20 special in February.
ABC News is said to have acquired the rights to the Bashir film which it plans to air it in the near future, sources said yesterday. ABC News officials declined to comment.