KUWAIT CITY – Three Kuwaitis have been detained on suspicion of planning terrorist attacks on U.S. forces in Kuwait, the Interior Ministry announced Monday.
The three were found with weapons and ammunition, the ministry said. It did not say when the men were detained or if they had been charged.
The ministry identified the three as Ahmed Mutlaq al-Mutairi, 29, Abdullah Mutlaq al-Mutairi, 32, Musaed Horan al-Enezi, 28.
It said the men were suspected of planning terrorist attacks on American forces based in Kuwait ahead of a possible U.S.-led attack on neighboring Iraq.
No further details were provided. No U.S. military comment was immediately available.
The arrests follow a series of attacks on American soldiers and civilians in Kuwait and come as U.S. military forces mass here for a possible war to topple Iraqi President Saddam Hussein.
On Jan. 21, Islamic extremists were blamed for killing a San Diego computer contractor and injuring another American close to Camp Doha, where U.S. forces are based.
A Kuwaiti policeman is facing trial charged with shooting and seriously wounding two U.S. soldiers on Nov. 21 after allegedly stopping their car on a highway.
In October, Muslim militants killed one U.S. Marine and injured another on a Kuwaiti island. Other Marines killed the gunmen, who were religious extremists.