McDonald's Blast Linked to Bali Bombings, Police Say

Evidence suggests a deadly bombing at a McDonald's restaurant in Indonesia is linked to the Oct. 12 bombings on the resort island of Bali, police said Wednesday.

Deputy national police spokesman Brig. Gen. Edward Aritonang denied earlier remarks by officers on the island of Java that police had arrested the main suspect in last week's McDonald's bombing.

Aritonang said a man arrested on Tuesday in Java was Abdul Hamid, who is wanted in the Bali bombings, not Agung Hamid, the main suspect in the McDonald's blast in the city of Makassar. That blast killed three people.

In Makassar, police chief Maj. Gen. Firman Gani said the two blasts may be connected.

"There are indications that all these happenings (in Makassar) are linked with the Bali bombings," he said. "The main targets (are) American and Australian symbols."

More than 190 people were killed in the two explosions in a nightclub district of Bali, mostly foreign tourists. It was the worst terrorist attack since the Sept. 11 strikes in the United States.

Also Wednesday, authorities moved eight suspects linked to the Bali blasts to the island for more investigation.

Among the transferred detainees was Mukhlas, also known as Ali Gufron, the alleged operations commander of the group Jemaah Islamiyah. Mukhlas, who was arrested last week, is one of about two dozen people arrested in the Bali blasts.

Jemaah Islamiyah has been linked to the al-Qaida terror network. Authorities have blamed the group for the Bali blasts and other terror plots in Southeast Asia.