JAKARTA, Indonesia – Indonesian authorities detained four people in connection with the Bali bombings that killed nearly 200 people last month, police said Wednesday.
Two men were picked up in Surabaya, the capital of East Java province, on Tuesday, another was detained in the capital, Jakarta, and the fourth in the city of Medan on Sumatra island.
Maj. Gen. I Made Mangku Pastika, who is heading the investigation team in Bali, did not identify the new detainees and said it was "premature" to name them as suspects.
He said they had been detained after officers determined they resembled composite sketches of suspects released last week by police.
Brig. Gen. Edward Aritonang, spokesman for the international inquiry team, explained that nine other people were detained last week because they resembled the sketches, but all were questioned and released without charges.
"We cannot say whether the four are related to the Bali blast or not," Aritonang said.
About 120 detectives and intelligence officers from Australia, the United States, Britain, Japan and other countries are working on the case with Indonesian investigators.
Although no group has claimed responsibility for the Oct. 12 nightclub bombing, the regional terrorist network Jemaah Islamiyah has emerged as the prime suspect.
Police have detained Abu Bakar Bashir, the group's spiritual leader, but he has not been declared a suspect in the Bali blasts.
Bashir is being held in a police hospital in Jakarta, and doctors said the 64-year-old cleric is too sick to be questioned. Bashir has denied any links with terrorists and said he won't cooperate with police.
Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz said Tuesday in Washington that Indonesia must stop terrorism or be faced with "really terrible consequences" for its nascent democracy. Wolfowitz served as ambassador to the regime of former military dictator Suharto.