Published October 14, 2002
OMAHA, Neb. – A former All-America football player at the University of Nebraska remained unaccounted for Monday in the area of the bomb blasts in Bali, Indonesia, his father said.
At least 188 people were killed and hundreds more injured in the blasts on Saturday at a nightclub district packed with foreign tourists. The attack was thought to be the work of terrorists.
Jake Young, 34, was in Bali to play a final tournament with his rugby team from Hong Kong before joining his wife, Laura, and their 2-year-old son in the Kansas City area, said his father, Jacob Young. The young attorney had been working in Hong Kong for a London-based law firm.
Speaking by telephone from his home in Midland, Texas, Jacob Young said Monday that he had received an e-mail from his son's rugby club in Hong Kong, saying people were still looking but "they have found nothing."
"We're clinging to a thin ray of hope that he's going to be found alive," he had said earlier.
Rep. Tom Osborne, R-Neb., Young's former coach at Nebraska, said State Department officials had recovered Young's passport but had not located him by late Sunday.
"There's no absolute confirmation," Osborne told the Omaha World-Herald. "But things don't sound real good."
Jo-Anne Prokopowicz, a State Department spokeswoman, said at least two Americans were killed and three injured. Names were not released.
Young was an Associated Press All-American center for Nebraska in 1988 and 1989.
"He was a really nice, unassuming guy who worked hard. Smart kid," said former Nebraska quarterback Steve Taylor, a teammate of Young for three seasons.