Two Met Players Caught Smoking Marijuana

Two Met players told cops they smoked marijuana in the shadow of Shea Stadium after Wednesday night's game - and it caused one of them to become violently ill and go into seizures, sources said yesterday.

Relief pitcher Mark Corey, 27, underwent a second battery of tests at a Manhattan hospital yesterday to determine the cause of the convulsions - and also met with the team's psychiatrist. 

Corey collapsed in the parking lot of the Ramada Plaza Hotel where he was living near the stadium after smoking a joint with reserve outfielder Tony Tarasco, 31, at about 11:30 p.m. Wednesday, sources said. 

Coach Juan Lopez, who was in the parking lot, saw what happened and rushed back to the stadium to find a trainer, while an ambulance was called. 

Tarasco told arriving cops he and Corey shared a hit of marijuana in a car just moments before the right-handed hurler "started to vomit and felt light-headed, faint and dizzy," said sources familiar with the matter. 

Cops immediately questioned Tarasco about where the pot was bought and whether it was possibly laced with other drugs like PCP, which would explain Corey's reaction. 

But Tarasco, who did not appear to be under the influence at the time, could not give an accounting or provide a sample of the drug for testing, sources said. 

The pot incident comes as the underachieving Mets find themselves 81/2 games behind the first-place Atlanta Braves and fans are growing increasingly disgruntled. 

Tarasco, who's batting .226 with two home runs and five RBIs in limited action since being recalled from the minors, refused to discuss the incident before last night's Subway Series opener against the Yankees in The Bronx. But he said Corey's convulsions were particularly extreme. 

"You have to understand the intensity of the seizure," he said. 

When asked if the pot could have caused the seizure, Mets general manager Steve Phillips said, "I think that's not typical." 

Corey, who was 0-1 with a 3.00 ERA in five games, has been placed on the 15-day disabled list - and his father, Edwin Corey, said his son has been through some difficult times lately. 

Corey's mom, Mary Ann, 55, died June 9 after a 13-year battle with breast cancer - and the pitcher is going through a divorce with his wife. 

"He's really been through a lot lately," Edwin, 55 told The Post yesterday in a telephone interview from his office in Couldersport, Pa. 

"He's still really shook up about his mom. They were very close, and the divorce hasn't been easy." 

Edwin said his son, who was the valedictorian of his high school class, assured him he "doesn't smoke pot or do drugs." 

Meanwhile, Major League Baseball investigated another incident involving Tarasco in April. 

A woman said she was partying with Tarasco and another Met as well as two Montreal Expos players at a downtown nightclub in the early hours of April 13 when she began having seizures after sipping a drink. 

But a MLB spokesman said at the time the probe was closed when the woman could only recall vague details of the incident. Tarasco denied any wrongdoing. Additional reporting by John Lehmann and Eric Lenkowitz

For more news, entertainment and sports coverage, click here for