Full Text of State Dept. Warning

Following is the full text of the State Department's advisory, urging 60,000 American citizens and all non-essential diplomats to voluntarily leave India:

"This Travel Warning is being issued to alert Americans to the fact that the Department has authorized the voluntary departure of non-emergency personnel and all dependents from our Embassy and Consulates in India. This Travel Warning supersedes the Warning issued May 24, 2002.

"The Department of State warns American citizens to defer travel to India. Conditions along India's border with Pakistan and in the state of Jammu & Kashmir have deteriorated. Tensions have risen to serious levels and the risk of intensified military hostilities between India and Pakistan cannot be ruled out.

"As a result of these concerns, the Department has authorized the departure of all U.S. Government personnel in non-emergency positions and family members in India.

"Americans who, despite this warning to defer travel to India, remain in India should avoid travel to all border areas between India and Pakistan including the Indian states of Gujarat, Rajasthan, and Punjab, and to the state of Jammu & Kashmir. The Indian Government has closed virtually all land and air links with Pakistan, ending travel between the two countries. Military movements continue along both the Line of Control in Kashmir and the border between India and Pakistan. Artillery firing along the Line of Control has caused death and injury in that area. Terrorist groups, some of which are linked to al-Qaida and have previously been implicated in attacks on Americans, are active there as well, and have attacked and killed civilians.

"The Department of State urges American citizens currently in India to depart the country. Those who decide to remain there should carefully monitor media reports for current information on developing situations and stay in touch with the U.S. Embassy in New Delhi or the nearest U.S. Consulate General in India. U.S. citizens in India are strongly urged to register and obtain updated security information at the Embassy or the nearest Consulate. Americans may register via the Internet, in person, or by mail or fax."