A computer was seized at a suburban St. Louis Catholic church rectory as part of a child pornography investigation, an official for the St. Louis Archdiocese confirmed Thursday.

FBI agents raided the rectory at Sacred Heart Catholic church in Florissant Wednesday night. FBI spokesman Keith Lourdeau confirmed the raid but wouldn't say what agents were looking for.

But St. Louis Archdiocese spokeswoman Terry Edelmann said a computer was seized from the rectory, the residence of the parish priest.

"A computer was taken and is being investigated," Edelmann said. "They apparently are looking for child pornography." She said no arrests have been made. Florissant police would not comment.

The parish in north St. Louis County is large and also includes a school.

"I just spoke with the school principal who said a lot of parents are calling and want answers, and I said it's too premature — we don't know enough to give answers," Edelmann said.

St. Louis Archbishop Justin Rigali was expected to make a statement later Thursday after more details were known, Edelmann said.

St. Louis has one of the largest percentages of Catholics of any metro area in the nation. Pope John Paul II visited the city in January 1999.

But the archdiocese has been stung by the fallout from revelations that the Boston diocese failed to remove 80 priests accused of sexually molesting children. Since then, two priests have been removed from St. Louis area parishes.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported Thursday that one of the removed priests, the Rev. Joseph Ross, pleaded guilty in 1988 to sexually assaulting an 11-year-old boy during confession, though the archdiocese kept the matter private and later assigned him to a new church. Ross had served St. Cronan Catholic Church for 11 years when he was removed late last month.

Ross was accused of grabbing and kissing the child — now 26 — several times during confession in December 1986, allegedly telling the boy, "Father loves you."

The archdiocese on Saturday identified the Rev. Michael Campbell as the second priest forced to resign.

Archdiocesan representatives attended Mass at both parishes last weekend to read a letter explaining the resignations and to answer questions.

On Tuesday, the archdiocese said it would not remove a priest accused of sexually molesting three brothers 20 years ago.

The brothers sued the Rev. Leroy Valentine and the archdiocese in 1995, accusing the priest of the assaults. The case was closed three years later when the archdiocese paid the brothers in a private settlement.

The brothers said Tuesday that as part of the agreement, they would keep quiet while the archdiocese promised to keep Valentine away from a job where he would have access to children.

The archdiocese said it never made such a promise. Valentine is now an associate pastor at a church in Florissant.