Brenda Buttner was joined by: Gary B. Smith, TheStreet.com columnist, Tobin Smith, editor of ChangeWave Investing; Charles Payne, Wall Street Strategies CEO, and Mike Norman, The Contrarian Update publisher.
October is known for stock market crashes, but the fact is that September is the worst month in the history of the Dow. The last time the Dow finished up for the month of September was 1995. Tobin said there are better times to jump into the market. He advises investors to wait 30 or 60 days before getting aggressive. Mike said that he thinks the economy is terrible and the Dow will test the lows set earlier in the year. Gary B. looked at his charts and also believes it will revisit the April lows. Charles is more bullish, and said that the Dow will end up for the year, and that testing the April lows is no big deal, because it would only take a bad week for the Dow to revisit those lows.
Tobin, Charles, and Mike all stayed on and each picked a stock they believe will shine in September. Mike picked Homestake Mining (HM) because he thinks that the U.S. dollar will lose value and gold prices will rise. Tobin selected Student Loan (STU) due to the huge amount of students entering college. Charles chose SeaChange International (SEAC) because he believes that the stock will appreciate before its industry reaches its full potential.
Gary B. came back for a segment of "Ask the Chartman." This is a segment in which he charts the stocks that viewer's send him via e-mail.
1. Laboratory Corp. (LH). Chartman: Bear. Time to exit this one because it broke its uptrend.
2. IBM (IBM). Chartman: Bear. IBM broke down hard earlier in the year, and again last week. It could fall to $80.
3. Calpine Corp. (CPN). Chartman: Bear. Still in a downtrend. Short it if it gets to $36.
4. Nortel (NT). Chartman: Bull/Bear. Stock is on life support, and can only become a buy if its massive downtrend line is broken.
5. WorldCom (WCOM). Chartman: Bull/Bear. Only becomes a buy if it can break through its current downtrend line.
Charles: Dow 10,400; Nasdaq 2,100 at end of year
Tobin: Telco's curb spending; hurts Lucent, Nortel, Cisco
Mike: Gold prices surge 50% within year; gold stocks rally!
Gary B: Gold stocks slump; drop 20% by year end