Send off summer in style with this fabulous ice cream treat as prepared by Curt Sassak, executive chef of the Standhope Park Hotel.
For the Red:
1 cup Strawberry puree
½ cup Heavy cream
Note: the amount of berries needed will depend on the size of the container purchased and how full it was. Typically a full pint of berries will yield 10-11 ounces of dry weight.
1. Wash, remove the tops, and slice the strawberries. Taste one of them, the sweetness will determine how much sugar is to be used.
2. Place the berries and sugar in a heavy-bottomed saucepan, cook over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved and the berries are cooked. Do not let this mixture boil, as the berries may lose their color.
3. Puree in a blender with the cream, (strain if you desire to have seeds removed) and set aside.
Note: with both the red, and the blue, the amount of cream and sugar can be adjusted depending on one's taste. The more cream added to the mixture, the less red and blue in color they will be.
For the White:
3 cups Heavy Cream
1 cups Half and Half
4 each Egg yolks
Vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise 1 ea.
1.In a heavy - bottomed saucepan, scald the cream, half and half, sugar and vanilla bean, stirring occasionally so the sugar does not stick to the bottom.
2. While the cream mixture is getting hot, place the egg yolks in a
medium sized bowl.
3. Once the cream mixture is @ 190 F, temper the egg mixture by slowly pouring some of the cream mixture into the eggs while stirring vigorously with a whip. (Careful, don't burn
4. Slowly pour the egg mixture back into the remaining cream in the saucepan while stirring with a whip, and cook over low-medium heat,
stirring constantly until mixture starts to thicken. (Make sure the mixture does not boil).
5. Strain the mixture through a fine strainer and set aside.
For the Blue:
Follow the same procedure as with the strawberries, using blueberries instead. Make sure they are washed and stems are removed.
Cool all three mixtures.
Place in your ice cream machine per the manufacturer's instructions.
To serve: Place one scoop of each in a serving dish.
Suggestions: Garnish with berries, toasted almonds, sprinkles
Serves: 4 to 6