Try Steve Ferri's, Fox News Channel's resident gourmet,classic Bruschetta!
2 summer-ripened tomatoes
10 basil leaves, washed and dried
11/2 pinches salt (kosher or sea preferred)
Pinch of cracked black pepper
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus some for drizzling
1garlic clove peeled
2 1-inch slices of white, sourdough or whole wheat peasant bread (round loaf)
1. For the tomatoes, bring 1 quart of salted water to a boil. Meanwhile prepare a ice bath of water
and ice in a bowl.
2. Core tomatoes and then score tomatoes by making a x on the bottom.
3. Plunge tomatoes in boiling for 30 seconds to a minute.
4. Take tomatoes out and plunge into ice bath.
5. Take peel off tomatos and cut each in half.
6. Squeeze juice and seeds out of tomatoes and set aside for other use.
7. Roughly chop tomatoes and put in bowl.
8. Stack basil leaves on top of each other and roll up.
9. Thinly slice basil and put in with tomatoes, reserving a pinch for garnish.
10. Mix tomatoes and basil with salt, pepper, vinegar and oil.
11. Let stand for up to 2 hours.
12. Peel garlic.
13. Grill bread until golden brown.
14. Rub warm bread all over with garlic (garlic will melt in bread).
15. Place bread on plate and use a slotted spoon to mound tomato mixture all over garlic bread. 16. Drizzle extra virgin olive oil on plate.
17. Garnish with basil and enjoy