NEW YORK – As California Rep. Gary Condit completes his fourth interview with police investigators, there is widespread belief that he is withholding information about Chandra Levy.
Results of a national FOX News/Opinion Dynamics poll show fully 70 percent think Condit is not telling everything he knows about the missing Washington intern who was last seen on April 30. While less than half of Americans (44 percent) think Condit had anything to do with Levy's disappearance, 51 percent think Condit is acting more like he's guilty than like he's innocent (19 percent).
So far, Condit has refused to take a police administered lie detector test. If Condit were to take a police polygraph and pass it, 48 percent say they would believe he is innocent, but about one-third wouldn't believe his innocence even with passing a police administered test.
About a quarter of Americans (27 percent) think Condit should resign his office, 22 percent think he should finish his term but not run for re-election, 13 percent say finish the term and run again, and 23 percent think it's too early to say what the congressman should do.
Polling was conducted by telephone July 25-26, 2001 in the evenings. The sample is 900 registered voters nationwide with a margin of error of ± 3 percentage points. "CD18" represents results from a poll conducted in California's 18th Congressional District.
1. Congressman Gary Condit recently admitted to having a romantic relationship with the Washington intern Chandra Levy who has been missing since April 30.
From what you've heard or read, do you think Gary Condit had anything to do with Levy's disappearance?
SCALE: 1. Yes, he did have something to do with it, 2. No, he didn’t have anything to do with it, 3. (Not sure)
|National||25-26 July 01||44%||24||32|
|CD18 ±3.5%||17-18 July 01||22%||45||33|
|National||11-12 July 01||41%||18||41|
2. Do you think Gary Condit is telling everything that he knows about Chandra Levy’s disappearance?
SCALE: 1. Yes, he is 2. No, he isn’t 3. (Not sure)
|National||25-26 July 01||11%||70||19|
|CD18 ±3.5%||17-18 July 01||21%||53||26|
|National||11-12 July 01||9%||68||23|
3. Do you think Gary Condit is acting more like he's guilty or acting more like he's innocent?
|Condit's acting guilty||51%|
|Condit's acting innocent||19|
4. What do you think Representative Condit should do: [READ 1-3 ONLY]
SCALE: 1. Resign from office, 2. Serve out his term and run for re-election, 3. Serve out his term, but not run for re-election, 4. (Too early to say), 5. (Not sure)
|CD18 ±3.5%||11-12 July||25%||26||24||17||8|
5. Do you think the DC police are treating Representative Condit fairly, or do you think Condit is getting special treatment because he's a congressman?
6. Representative Condit took a private lie detector test that was arranged by his attorney, but so far has refused to take a lie detector test administered by the police. If Condit were to take a police lie detector test and pass it, would you believe he was innocent?