Some of the sports stories The Associated Press is covering Friday. A full Sports Digest will be sent by about 3 p.m. All times EDT:
- CHICAGO - With the best record in baseball, the Cubs begin their bid for a World Series title that has eluded them for 108 years. Jon Lester starts in Game 1 of the NLDS against the Giants' Johnny Cueto. Game starts 9:15 p.m.
- WASHINGTON - In a matchup of past Cy Young Award winners, Max Scherzer of the Nationals and Clayton Kershaw of the Dodgers are on the mound for Game 1 of their NLDS. Game starts 5:38 p.m.
More from FoxSports
- ARLINGTON, Texas - Yu Darvish makes only his second postseason start for the Texas Rangers, who are down 1-0 in the ALDS after Toronto won the opener 10-1. The Blue Jays counter with 20-game winner J.A. Happ. Game starts 1:08 p.m.
- CLEVELAND - With the Boston Red Sox down 1-0 in the ALDS, David Price - winless as a starter in the postseason - starts Game 2 against Cleveland Indians ace Corey Kluber. Game starts 4:38 p.m.
- Two college football games Friday night involving Top 25 teams: No. 3 Clemson at Boston College (7:30 p.m.); No. 19 Boise State at New Mexico (9 p.m.).
- Stories on key college football games Saturday: No. 1 Alabama-No. 16 Arkansas; No. 8 Texas A&M-No. 9 Tennessee; No. 10 Miami-No. 23 Florida State; No. 17 North Carolina-No. 25 Virginia Tech; No. 20 Oklahoma-Texas.
- LOS ANGELES - The woman accusing Derrick Rose and his friends of rape returns to the witness stand for cross-examination. She has filed a $21.5 million lawsuit against the NBA star, who is beginning his first season with the Knicks.
- Tiger Woods is set for his first tournament in more than a year, signing up for next week's Safeway Open in California. Woods last played in August 2015 at the Wyndham Championship before having two more back operations.
- INDIANAPOLIS - NCAA relocates its men's basketball regional tournament to Greenville, South Carolina, after withdrawing the event from Greensboro, North Carolina, because of that state's law restricting the rights of LGBT people.
- TEMPE, Ariz. - The Arizona Cardinals beat the 49ers Thursday night, a victory they sorely needed. Now coach Bruce Arians has given his players five days off before preparing for a Monday night game against the Jets.
- LONDON - With the Russian doping scandal still causing discord across international sports, Olympic leaders meet Saturday to consider ways of revamping a battered and distrusted global drug-testing system.
- The U.S. national soccer team plays an exhibition game against Cuba in Havana in preparation for next month's World Cup qualifier against Mexico. Game starts 4 p.m.
- Winless France is home against Bulgaria in a European World Cup qualifier. Portugal, coming off a loss to Switzerland, hosts Andorra.
- PYEONGCHANG, South Korea - The IOC says Pyeongchang's preparations for the 2018 Winter Olympics are on course but South Korean organizers must step up efforts to promote the games worldwide.
- VATICAN CITY - Val Ackerman, the first president of the WNBA, discusses the role of women in international sports at the first global conference on faith and sports at the Vatican.