Some of the sports stories The Associated Press is covering Monday. A full Sports Digest will be sent by about 3 p.m. All times EDT:
- ORLANDO, Fla. - The No. 4 Florida State Seminoles take on No. 11 Ole Miss to cap an opening weekend of marque matchups. This is supposed to be a neutral site game, but it's being played in the Seminoles' backyard at Camping World Stadium. Game starts 8 p.m.
- DENVER - Von Miller got the best of Cam Newton in the Super Bowl and its aftermath. Denver's superstar made the NFL MVP the butt of his jokes on ''SNL'' and trolled Carolina's quarterback on Instagram. With the Broncos' opener against the Panthers looming, Miller swears they were friendly jabs for a man he deeply respects, and Newton swears he didn't mind Miller rubbing it in like that.
More from FoxSports
- CHARLOTTE, N.C. - The Panthers averaged 31.3 points per game last season but were held to 10 by the Broncos in the Super Bowl. So what went wrong with on that February day in Santa Clara, California, with the league's highest-scoring offense and what do they need to change in Thursday night's opener?
- Various stories from NFL practices and previews of all 32 teams.
- NEW YORK - The Williams sisters try to move closer to a head-to-head showdown at the U.S. Open when they play fourth-round matches, while past men's champions Andy Murray and Juan Martin del Potro are also in action.
- NORTON, Mass. - Paul Casey has a three-shot lead going into the final round of the Deutsche Bank Championship, where big wind and rain was in the forecast.
- CINCINNATI - All-Star outfielder Jay Bruce returns to Cincinnati for the first time since the Reds sent him to the Mets at the Aug. 1 trade deadline. Robert Stephenson (2-0) attempts to become the first Reds pitcher since Wayne Simpson in 1970 to win his first three major league starts. He faces Bartolo Colon. Game starts 1:10 p.m.
- PITTSBURGH - Cardinals right-hander Adam Wainwright (9-8) tries to snap his four-game losing streak at Pittsburgh in the opener of a three-game series with NL wild-card implications. Rookie right-hander Chad Kuhl (3-2, 3.70) goes for the Pirates (67-67), who have dropped six in a row to fall 3 1/2 games behind St. Louis in the race for the league's final playoff spot. Game starts 4:05 p.m.
- LOS ANGELES - Kenta Maeda starts for the NL West-leading Los Angeles Dodgers against Zack Greinke and the Arizona Diamondbacks in the series opener. Greinke returns to Dodger Stadium for the first time since leaving Los Angeles after beating his former team in Arizona on June 13. Game starts 8 p.m.
- For the first time in seven seasons, Big 12 favorite Oklahoma is coming off a season-opening loss. And Kansas is 1-0 after ending a 15-game losing streak. Now it's off to Week 2, with three more non-conference games against Power Five teams.
- TUSCALOOSA, Ala. - No. 1 Alabama doesn't have much urgency at the moment to pick a starting quarterback. Both freshman Jalen Hurts and redshirt freshman Blake Barnett delivered big plays in the opening domination of No. 20 USC with Western Kentucky up next.
- CLEMSON, S.C. - A super offense at Clemson? Not quite yet, not after what Tigers quarterback Deshaun Watson knows was an underwhelming start to the season - and his Heisman Trophy chances - at Auburn last week. He and the Tigers will try and pick things up against Troy on Saturday.
- World Cup of Hockey training camps open with plenty of curiosity about the 23-and-under Team North America and whether Canadian goaltender Carey Price will be healthy. The United States and six other teams have plenty of other questions going into the tournament, which begins Sept. 17 in Toronto.
- RIO DE JANEIRO - The Paralympic Games will make history when they open this week in Rio de Janeiro, but not the kind that Philip Craven was hoping for. Only a last-minute Brazilian government bailout has helped save the event from a shortfall in the local, privately funded operating budget.