Some of the sports stories The Associated Press is covering Monday. A full Sports Digest will be sent by about 3 p.m. A full Olympic Digest will be sent. All times EDT:
- RIO DE JANEIRO - American Allyson Felix thought she might win two individual medals at the Olympics. Instead, she'd happily settle for one. Her chance comes Monday night in the 400-meter final. Race starts 9:45 p.m.
- RIO DE JANEIRO - Mark Cavendish, the winner of 30 stages in the Tour de France, tries to capture the Olympic medal that has long eluded him when he returns to the Rio velodrome for the omnium. Reigning gold medalist Lasse Norman Hansen of Denmark leads the six-discipline event at the midway point. Medal event starts 4:30 p.m.
More from FoxSports
- RIO DE JANEIRO - Russian world champion Evgeny Tishchenko and Kazakh bruiser Vassiliy Levit fight for the Olympic heavyweight gold medal. Fight starts 6:15 p.m.
- RIO DE JANEIRO - The U.S. women's field hockey team seeks a slot in the quarterfinals, but Germany is blocking the path. The Americans went 4-1 in pool play and are confident in the quest for their first medal since 1984. Game starts 11:30 a.m.
- RIO DE JANEIRO - The U.S. men's volleyball team tries to keep its quarterfinal hopes alive with a must-win match against Mexico in the fifth and final match of pool play at the Rio Olympics. Match started 10:35 a.m.
- RIO DE JANEIRO - The undefeated United States looks to advance to the semifinals of the Olympic women's water polo tournament with a victory over Brazil. Australia takes on Hungary, Russia faces Spain and Italy meets China in the other quarterfinals. US-Brazil game starts 1:10 p.m.
- RIO DE JANEIRO - Cuban heavyweight Mijian Lopez will wrestle for his third Olympic title. But Lopez will likely have to get through Turkish strongman Riza Kayaalp to win gold. Finals start 3 p.m.
- SAN FRANCISCO - Newly acquired Matt Moore will make his home debut for San Francisco, taking on the Pirates. The lefty is 0-1 with a 3.00 ERA in two starts since the Giants got him from Tampa Bay. San Francisco hosts former starter Ryan Vogelsong and the Pittsburgh Pirates. Game starts 10:15 p.m.
- PHOENIX - Fresh off a 16-2 thumping at the hands of Boston, Arizona returns home to face the New York Mets. It's the opener of a 10-game road trip for the Mets, who were swept by the lowly Diamondbacks in three games last week in New York. Bartolo Colon goes for his first win against Arizona. Game starts 9:40 p.m.
- By the 1950s, college football's balance of power had drifted away from the elite eastern schools and into the Midwest, where Bud Wilkinson's Oklahoma dynasty dominated the polls and set a record winning streak that still stands. Eds: Part of a series.
- Various stories from NFL training camps.
- UPPER ARLINGTON, Ohio - The USGA tries again to play the final round of the U.S. Senior Open Championship after it was rained out Sunday. Miguel Angel Jimenez holds a 1-stroke lead over Gene Sauers.