INDIANAPOLIS (AP) A woman who says she was raped by college football players nearly 20 years ago is asking the NCAA to ban sexually violent athletes.
Brenda Tracy and her son will present a petition to the NCAA's Board of Governors at its meeting Wednesday in Indianapolis. Current guidelines generally allow schools or conferences to hand down such punishments.
More from FoxSports
Tracy's son Darius says he started the petition after hearing about multiple sexual assault allegations involving Baylor football players. The petition contains more than 157,000 signatures.
It's unclear when - or if - the NCAA committee will take action. It already has already met once with the family as it debates how to address sexual violence on campus.
Brenda Tracy says she was raped by four men, including two Oregon State football players, in 1998. The Associated Press generally doesn't identify people who say they were sexually assaulted, but Tracy has spoken publicly to draw attention to her situation.
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) - North Carolina is challenging the NCAA's jurisdiction to pursue charges in the school's long-running academic fraud scandal and is holding off on self-imposed penalties.
The school publicly released its response to five potentially top-level NCAA charges, which include lack of institutional control. UNC acknowledged problems tied to irregular courses in a department popular with athletes but also available to non-athletes on the Chapel Hill campus, though it argued that its accreditation agency - not the NCAA - was the proper authority to handle such a matter.
That agency, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges, sanctioned the school with a year of probation that expired in June.
UNC made several procedural arguments before responding to each charge outlined in a Notice of Allegations (NOA) sent in April. Its response is a procedural step that will eventually lead to a hearing followed by a ruling in a case likely to push into 2017.
The NCAA enforcement staff now has 60 days to respond.
WACO, Texas (AP) - Baylor assistant football coaches will be off limits to the media this fall, a change that comes in the wake of a scandal that led to the departure of coach Art Briles while his staff remained intact.
An advisory sent about football availability this season included a note that acting head coach Jim Grobe will be the only member of the coaching staff who will address the media.
While many schools already restrict media access to assistant coaches, Baylor assistants in the past were routinely available when requested.
None of the assistants has spoken publicly since Briles was immediately suspended with the release a scathing report on May 26, a month before he mutually agreed on his departure with the school.
All of his assistants remain at Baylor despite the report that concluded multiple football ''coaches'' acted inappropriately in handling sexual assault allegations against some players. The report didn't say when those occurred and didn't list any names.
RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) - Two-time major champion Stan Wawrinka pulled out of the Olympics because of injury, leaving the Rio Games without half of the men ranked in the ATP's top 10.
A statement issued by Wawrinka's management company said he ''felt increasing pain'' during the Rogers Cup in Toronto last week and was told by his doctor after an MRI exam to ''reduce his physical activity for an undetermined period.''
The statement does not say where Wawrinka is injured. He lost in the semifinals in Toronto.
Wawrinka, who is No. 4 this week, joins his Swiss teammate Roger Federer, who is No. 3, along with No. 7 Milos Raonic of Canada, No. 8 Tomas Berdych of the Czech Republic and No. 10 Dominic Thiem of Austria in withdrawing from the Rio de Janeiro Olympics for a variety of reasons.
DENVER (AP) - Yasiel Puig's up-and-down career took another turn when the Los Angeles Dodgers sent the outfielder to the minors a day after they couldn't move him before the non-waiver trade deadline.
The Dodgers also optioned pitcher Ross Stripling to Triple-A Oklahoma City to make room for their new additions, outfielder Josh Reddick and reliever Jesse Chavez.
Los Angeles told Puig not to come to Dodger Stadium on Monday ahead of the team's trip to Colorado for a series against the Rockies. Puig complied, and now he has 72 hours to report to the minors.
Puig was an All-Star in 2014 after a meteoric rise with the Dodgers, who signed the Cuban prospect to a $42 million, seven-year contract in June 2012. He hit 35 homers and drove in 111 runs while batting .305 from 2013-14, but slipped to .255 last season while playing in just 79 games due to hamstring troubles.
BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) - A 21-year-old Buffalo woman has sued Sabres forward Evander Kane, saying he seriously injured her in the hotel room where he lives.
Documents filed July 1 in Erie County State Supreme Court on behalf of Rachel Kuechle say Kane met her in a bar, invited her to what he said was a party and then attacked her, causing cuts and bleeding that required multiple surgeries. Without providing details of how she was injured, her lawyers said Kuechle suffered ''serious emotional trauma'' and ''serious, permanent and painful personal injuries.''
Kane's actions are described as ''unwanted, unconsented to, violent and offensive in nature physical battery,'' according to court papers.
No monetary damages were specified in the lawsuit. A message left for Kuechle's lawyer wasn't immediately returned.