Some of the sports stories The Associated Press is covering Tuesday. A full Sports Digest will be sent by about 3 p.m. All times EDT:
- KNOXVILLE, Tenn. - Pat Summitt, the winningest coach in Division I college basketball history who lifted the women's game to national prominence during her 38 years at Tennessee, dies at 64.
- Buddy Ryan, the pugnacious coach who masterminded two fierce defenses that won Super Bowl titles and whose twin sons have been successful NFL coaches, dies in Kentucky at 82.
More from FoxSports
- LONDON - Serena Williams opens her Wimbledon defense with a victory over a Swiss qualifier. Andy Murray faces a fellow Brit for the first time at the All England Club.
- AKRON, Ohio - The biggest issue facing golf's return to the Olympics was getting the course built. Now it's getting players to come. Rory McIlroy and Jason Day are among nine players to have withdrawn.
- WASHINGTON - The chief organizer of the Rio Olympics says security is his top concern, well ahead of the Zika virus.
- OMAHA, Neb. - Michael Phelps opens his bid for a fifth Olympics in the 200-meter butterfly preliminaries at the U.S. swimming trials. Katie Ledecky easily advances to the semifinals at the 200 freestyle.
- ATLANTA - The Cleveland Indians go for their 11th straight victory, starting 2014 AL Cy Young Award winner Corey Kluber against the last-place Braves. Game starts 7:10 p.m.
- CINCINNATI - Kris Bryant tries to build on his historic night - three homers, two doubles - when the Chicago Cubs play the second game of their series against the Cincinnati Reds. Game starts 7:10 p.m.
- KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Yordano Ventura is on the mound for the Kansas City Royals, facing St. Louis in his return from an eight-game suspension because of a brawl in Baltimore. Game starts 8:15 p.m.
- OMAHA, Neb. - Arizona can clinch its fifth national title in baseball, and first since 2012, with a win over Coastal Carolina in Game 2 of the College World Series finals. Game starts 8 p.m.
- PARIS - With a fascinating quarterfinals lineup, the drama at the European Championship is building after a lackluster group stage.
- NICE, France - Iceland's starting victory over England at Euro 2016 is overtaking coverage of the country's presidential election Saturday.