MIAMI (AP) -- Miami Dolphins defensive end Dion Jordan plans to apply Wednesday to the NFL for reinstatement after sitting out last season for his latest violation of the league's substance abuse policy.

Jordan's plans were confirmed Monday by his agent, Doug Hendrickson.

The overall No. 3 selection in the 2013 draft, Jordan has contributed little so far in his career, and is serving his second suspension under the NFL substance abuse policy. His latest suspension began in April 2015, and he hasn't failed or missed any drug tests since while undergoing them weekly, Hendrickson said.

More from FoxSports

Jordan's first suspension was for the first four games in 2014, and two more games were subsequently tacked on because of an additional violation. The suspensions have limited Jordan to 26 games with one start, and he has totaled 46 tackles and three sacks.

Reinstatements typically occur at least a month after an application is filed, but a decision is likely before training camp starts. The Dolphins regime that drafted Jordan is gone, and he would return to a new coaching staff led by head coach Adam Gase.

"Obviously he was the third pick of the draft for a reason," new defensive coordinator Vance Joseph said earlier this month. "So if he's here, then I would be excited to have him. But right now I can't speak on it because that's a league issue."

Jordan excelled as a pass rusher at Oregon, but his lack of productivity with the Dolphins has raised questions about his best position, and they might consider moving him to linebacker. They're deep at defensive end with newcomers Mario Williams, Jason Jones and Andre Branch, and with Cameron Wake expected to return from Achilles tendon surgery.