Former UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir has been flagged for a potential anti-doping violation stemming from his March fight against Mark Hunt in Australia.

The UFC released a statement on Friday addressing results returned from the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) in a test taken from the day of Mir's fight.

While no details of the substance Mir allegedly tested positive for were revealed, USADA has flagged him for a potential violation.

More from FoxSports

"The UFC organization was notified today that the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) has informed Frank Mir of a potential Anti-Doping Policy violation stemming from an in-competition sample collected the day of his fight on March 20, 2016 in Brisbane, Australia," UFC officials said on Friday.

"USADA, the independent administrator of the UFC Anti-Doping Policy, will handle the results management and appropriate adjudication of this case involving Mir. It is important to note that, under the UFC Anti-Doping Policy, there is a full and fair legal process that is afforded to all athletes before any sanctions are imposed."

Following the results of the test being made public, Mir released a statement refuting the claim and said that he used no performance enhancing drugs before his fight with Hunt.

Please read my statement regarding USADA test: https://t.co/mifI8iMLCd

— Frank Mir (@thefrankmir) April 9, 2016

"I recently have been notified by USADA that the test I took on the night of the fight came back positive for a substance that I did not take," Mir wrote.

"I don't know how that is possible as I did not take any performance enhancing drugs to compete. I have never tested positive for a banned substance since joining the UFC and becoming a two-time champion. I ask all of you to hold judgment against me until all the facts have been revealed."

Just recently middleweight contender Yoel Romero appealed his positive drug test and eventually settled with USADA on a six-month suspension after he took a tainted supplement ahead of his last fight with Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza in December 2015.

As previously stated, no sanctions against Mir will be put in place until the appeal process plays out between the fighter and USADA.