Some of the sports stories The Associated Press is covering Wednesday. A full Sports Digest will be sent by about 3 p.m. All times EDT:
- NORMAN, Okla. - Buddy Hield had big expectations when he returned to Oklahoma for his senior season. Things have gone even better than expected. He's averaging 29.3 points in the NCAA Tournament heading into Saturday's national semifinal against Villanova. SENT: 800 words, photos
- INDIANAPOLIS - Connecticut was favored to be in this year's NCAA Final Four. Oregon State, Syracuse and Washington were surprises. With three first-time entrants at this year's Final Four, it sure doesn't look the way people expected. UPCOMING: 650 words, photos by 6 p.m.
More from FoxSports
- OAKLAND, Calif. - Craig Sager has a blood clot behind his right ear that is affecting his hearing, and that's just another annoyance he is accepting as he continues to work NBA games for Turner Sports with fervor despite his leukemia no longer being in remission. SENT: 800 words, photos.
- LOS ANGELES - Dwyane Wade and Kobe Bryant face each other for the final time when the Miami Heat play the slumping, squabbling Los Angeles Lakers, who are coming off the worst loss in team history. UPCOMING: 700 words, photos. Starts 10:30 p.m.
- KNOXVILLE, Tenn. - March Madness has extended to student managers, and this year's there a ranking system and tournament. And a final four is set: Kansas, Michigan State, Iowa State and Tennessee. The student manager teams will play for the unofficial title as part of Final Four festivities in Houston. UPCOMING: 750 words, photos by 5 p.m.
- NEW YORK - The NCAA Tournament's semifinals moved to cable for the first time in 2014, and viewership was down 11 percent from the season before. Back on cable again last year, the result was the complete opposite. : The two games averaged their largest audience in nearly two decades. SENT: 600 words, photos.
- FORT MYERS, Fla. - Korean slugger Byung Ho Park is excited about making the transition from his native homeland to the major leagues and aims to make noise with his bat for the Minnesota Twins while quietly going about his business off the field. SENT: 750 words, photos.
- Another wave of shortstops and a couple of tough lefties top the charts of rookies to watch. By Jay Cohen. SENT: 700 words, photos
- MADRID - The president of Spain's Olympic committee says he would like to see Rafael Nadal as the country's flag bearer in Rio de Janeiro. SENT: 300 words, photos.
- MOSCOW - Russia says 2 cyclists, water polo player test positive. SENT: 205 words.
- BOSTON - Three past champions - Yuzuru Hanyu, Javier Fernandez and Patrick Chan - compete in the short program at figure skating's world championships. UPCOMING: 650 words, photos. Starts 6:15 p.m.
- KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. - Two-time champion Victoria Azarenka plays Johanna Konta in the quarterfinals of the Miami Open, and Novak Djokovic faces Tomas Berdych. UPCOMING: 500 words, photos by 6 p.m.
- HALLANDALE BEACH, Fla. - Post-position draw for Florida Derby featuring unbeatens Nyquist and Mohaymen. UPCOMING: 500 words by 1 p.m.
- RIO DE JANEIRO - Brazil's former head of public security expects the torch relay for the Rio de Janeiro Olympics to be targeted by protests. The relay around Brazil kicks off May 3 in the captial Brasilia. UPCOMING: 650 words by 2 p.m.
- DETROIT - Red Wings on bubble to extend postseason streak to 25. SENT: 800 words, photos.