The NFL announced last year that its controversial television blackout rule would be suspended for the 2015 season, and, according to a report, the suspension will continue through at least 2016.
The league wants to wait at least one more year before deciding whether it should get rid of the rule altogether, according to Daniel Kaplan of SportsBusiness Journal.
The NFL extended for another year suspension of TV blackout rule. Goodell said more study needed before league wipes policy from its books— daniel kaplan (@dkaplanSBJ) March 28, 2016
More from FoxSports
Via ProFootball Talk:
"Owners voted last week to extend the suspension by another year. Commissioner Roger Goodell explained that the NFL wants to give it another year before making a decision on whether to scrap or reinstate the rule that requires all non-premium seats to be sold within 72 hours of kickoff, with an increasing number of exceptions and limitations."
Though the league says it needs more time to decide on the ultimate outcome of the policy, it would be surprising if the rule ever returned. Though it made sense at one point, when revenue relied mainly on ticket sales, the league is now driven by TV contracts.