Some of the sports stories The Associated Press is covering Thursday. A full Sports Digest will be sent by about 3 p.m. All times EST:
- The NBA trade deadline looms, with the likes of Dwight Howard and Kevin Love available. Also in the mix could be Pau Gasol, Jeff Teague, Ryan Anderson and Al Horford. Deadline 3 p.m.
- DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - The field for the Daytona 500 is set Thursday night with two 150-mile qualifying races. Races start 7 p.m.
More from FoxSports
- SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. - From Arizona to Florida, pitchers and catchers begin workouts on Day One of spring training. With photo gallery.
- NEW YORK - A look at how the 156 major league players in salary arbitration fared. With chart.
- LOS ANGELES - Jordan Spieth and Rory McIlroy lead a strong field at Riviera for the opening round of the Northern Trust Open. McIlroy is making his first PGA Tour start of the year.
- CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Panthers defensive end Jared Allen retires at 33. A four-time All-Pro, he played 12 seasons in the NFL and led the league in sacks in 2007 and 2011.
- NEW YORK - Sean Marks of the Spurs is hired as general manager of a Brooklyn Nets team that is 14-40. He spent the last two seasons as San Antonio's assistant general manager.
- CORAL GABLES, Fla. - The No. 11 Miami Hurricanes have a share of the ACC lead, and they'll be alone in first place if they win Saturday at No. 5 North Carolina.
- MANILA, Philippines - Manny Pacquiao respects Nike's decision to cut ties with him over his comments about gays. But the star boxer and Senate candidate stands by his opposition to same-sex marriage.
- LONDON - IAAF President Sebastian Coe says Kenyan athletes could be banned from competing in the Rio de Janeiro Olympics. The organization is investigating alleged extortion and doping cover-ups.
- NEW YORK - With the Rio Olympics track and field schedule changed, American star Allyson Felix will have a chance to win gold at 200 and 400 meters.
- EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. - If New Jersey follows through on plans to allow two new casinos in the New York City suburbs, they could be among the most successful in the country.