Newcastle have made a £21m ($29.9m) bid for Saido Berahino as the race to sign the West Brom striker hots up.

It is understood Stoke and Newcastle enquired about the long-term Tottenham target over the weekend, and the north-east club have now become the first to lodge a firm offer.

The Magpies' bid is understood to be a cash upfront offer for the whole amount, potentially a significant detail as West Brom chairman Jeremy Peace criticised Spurs in the summer for proposing staged payments and add-ons.

More from FoxSports

Albion's position remains unchanged, according to Sky sources: they do not want to sell Berahino and have ruled out letting him go for less than Peace's valuation.

Berahino reminded potential suitors of his talent with both West Brom's goals in Saturday's drawn FA Cup tie with Peterborough.

Tony Pulis said after the game: "There's two more days to wait. The chairman will make the decisions on the financial matters and that's really what it boils down to.

"I think football-wise, everyone would want to keep Saido here. When you put Saido in front of goal, he's a goalscorer.

"But we need to get him fit because he's not fully fit. Even today [Saturday], he scored two goals, two great goals, he took them fantastically well, but he's not as fit as he should be.

"He accepts that and we certainly know that he's not like he was last year. But having said all that, we could certainly do with him staying - because we'll need his goals. He has that wonderful, wonderful ability to put the ball in the back of the net."