Editors: Updates free agency item.
Some of the sports stories The Associated Press is covering Friday. A full Sports Digest will be sent by about 3 p.m. All times EST:
- Three games highlight college football Saturday: No. 4 LSU at No. 7 Alabama; No. 3 Clemson vs. No. 17 Florida State; and No. 5 TCU at No. 12 Oklahoma State.
More from FoxSports
- In Friday's lone game involving a ranked team, No. 23 Temple plays at SMU. Temple is coming off a close loss to Notre Dame. Game starts 8 p.m.
- NEW YORK - Yankees pitcher CC Sabathia, who entered rehab right before the playoffs, tells ABC's ''Good Morning America'' he realized he was an alcoholic three years ago.
- NEW YORK - Major league teams have until 5 p.m. to make $15.8 million qualifying offers to their former players who became free agents. Cardinals make offers to Jason Heyward, John Lackey.
- PARIS - French authorities investigating former IAAF President Lamine Diack tell the AP that one of his sons was also ''very active'' in alleged corruption, with demands of hush money over suspected doping.
- With sophisticated offenses, confident quarterbacks and recent rule changes designed for player safety, NFL defenses have never been more challenged. Blitzing might be the way to go.
- CINCINNATI - Tyler Eifert had three more touchdown catches in a victory over Cleveland that leaves the the Bengals at 8-0. The Cincinnati tight end is emerging as one of the NFL's up-and-coming threats.
- NEWARK, N.J. - Blackhawks star Patrick Kane takes part in a morning skate before a road game against the Devils. A day earlier, he learned he won't be criminally charged in a rape case in Buffalo, New York.
- FORT WORTH, Texas - Joey Logano's championship hopes took a big blow when he was intentionally wrecked by Matt Kenseth. Logano goes to Texas last among the eight drivers still eligible in the Chase.
- Rookie Iowa State basketball coach Steve Prohm faces a big unknown this season. How to get through to a group of experienced players with national title aspirations?
- COLUMBIA, S.C. - The No. 2 South Carolina women are getting closer to a national basketball championship. Those final few steps, though - like getting past champion UConn - could be the most challenging.
- SHANGHAI - Kevin Kisner is again bogey free in the HSBC Champions, shooting a 6-under 66 for a two-shot lead over Russell Knox going into the weekend of the World Golf Championship.
- SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. - Bernhard Langer is up by two strokes going into the second round of the Champions Tour's season-ending Charles Schwab Cup Championship.
- LONDON - Former U.S. coach Bob Bradley is leaving his coaching job in Norway, possibly for a second-tier French club. He talks with the AP about why he hasn't landed with a more prestigious European team.
- The second leg of the MLS conference semifinals is Sunday, with all four of the home-and-home matchups still undecided and Seattle and Montreal headed on the road with one-goal leads.
- PARIS - Andy Murray beats Richard Gasquet to reach the Paris Masters semifinals. In other quarterfinals, it's: Novak Djokovic-Tomas Berdych; Stanislas Wawrinka-Rafael Nadal; David Ferrer-John Isner.