NFL

Ex-Raiders DE Anthony Smith found guilty of murdering three men

3 Sep 1995: Defensive lineman Anthony Smith of the Oakland Raiders looks on during a game against the San Diego Chargers at the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum in Oakland, California. The Raiders won the game, 17-7. Mandatory Credit: Mike Powell /Allsp

3 Sep 1995: Defensive lineman Anthony Smith of the Oakland Raiders looks on during a game against the San Diego Chargers at the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum in Oakland, California. The Raiders won the game, 17-7. Mandatory Credit: Mike Powell /Allsp

Anthony Wayne Smith's lawyers plans to appeal the verdict.

Mike Powell Getty Images North America

A former defensive end with the Oakland and Los Angeles Raiders has been found guilty of murdering three men after his retirement from the NFL.

A Los Angeles County jury found 48-year-old Anthony Wayne Smith guilty of three murder charges Thursday. The jury deadlocked on a fourth murder count.

More from FoxSports

Smith's attorney, Michael Evans, says he'll appeal the convictions. He says the evidence was insufficient, and there's no credible motive.

Smith was convicted in the shooting deaths of two brothers in 1999 and the stabbing death of another man in 2001. Prosecutors say all three had been kidnapped and tortured.

Smith faces life in prison without the possibility of parole.

Smith spent seven years as a defensive end for the Raiders, amassing 57 sacks and 190 tackles. He retired in 1998.